Spots

Fred Kingston

If you clean the lens and the spots remain, they're on the sensor. If you concentrate on one or two spots and those spots are in the same position on different images, they're mostly on the sensor. Lightroom has a feature that basically distorts and dehazes the image to better show the spots... You probably need to explore how to clean your sensor or having someone clean it for you.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Several years ago, I chronicled my situation with the D600 oil/dust spots. Like Fred said, you really can't tell for sure without physically removing your lens and looking at the rear glass element. If it is loaded with dust, then most likely some of the dust also transferred to the sensor. Your image was shot at f/22. Anything from f/16 and smaller will definitely show spots. It also looks like there is at least one oil spot or some type of dried wet spot that could be caused by dew when changing lenses.

This is an excellent rocket blower. It is powerful and has a filter on the back to prevent it from sucking in dust from the atmosphere. The large size is the best although the medium is okay. Don't bother with the small. It doesn't pack much punch.

Giottos Large Rocketblower: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ASIN=B00017LSPI&linkCode=as2&tag=nikonites-20

A loupe is also very effective to view the sensor. I didn't have one the first time I cleaned my sensor. My hand holding the cleaning stick was in the way so I couldn't effectively see what I was doing. Having a loupe (which has its own light source) helps immensely. This is the one I use although there are others that are equally as good.

Carson Loupe: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091SS310/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the video BackdoorArts shared with me when I needed to clean my D600 sensor. It is very detailed and explains how to first blow off all the dust with the blower before doing a wet clean. And you definitely want to blow off any dust before cleaning. Be sure not to put the blower's tip inside the body. Keep it outside as shown in the video If you don't blow off the dust first, you risk scratching the sensor during a wet clean.

Last edited: