SB-910 with the D500

AJV

Does anyone have any real-life experience mounting an SB-910 flash on a D500?
I have a D500 and am interested in a used SB-910. I'm wondering about compatibility issues since the SB-910 predates the D500.
Thanks in advance for any help.​

Bikerbrent

I have neither D500 or SB-910, but you might want to go to this site, "Using SB-910/SB-600 on D500 for commander". It appears the SB-910 is not the best choice for a D500!

Fred Kingston

Does anyone have any real-life experience mounting an SB-910 flash on a D500?
I have a D500 and am interested in a used SB-910. I'm wondering about compatibility issues since the SB-910 predates the D500.
Thanks in advance for any help.​

Yes, it's compatible... Nikon cameras used to support CLS. That was Nikon's flash systems that used the flash's light to communicate between flashes... Now the D500 supports a new protocol by using a "radio" to communicate with Nikon's newer flashes. That control unit was/is referred to as Commander mode.

The SB910 has it's own Commander mode built in... NOW instead of using the camera's Commander mode to control the SB910 ON a D500, you just use the Commander Mode on the SB910 to control other CLS compatible flashes...

I wouldn't look for an SB910 if that were my primary camera... unless the price was sub-$100 because there are many NEW flash systems in that <$100 price point that support a radio control protocol... If the price of the SB910 is under $100, that's still an excellent flash...

YongNuo makes excellent radio triggers that work with that camera and flash for less than $100... That would give you the ability to use the SB910 ON or OFF camera with the D500

AJV

I have neither D500 or SB-910, but you might want to go to this site, "Using SB-910/SB-600 on D500 for commander". It appears the SB-910 is not the best choice for a D500!
Brent,
Thanks so much for your input but I can't locate the article. Can you tell me why you feel the SB-910 is not the best choice for a D500?

AJV

Yes, it's compatible... Nikon cameras used to support CLS. That was Nikon's flash systems that used the flash's light to communicate between flashes... Now the D500 supports a new protocol by using a "radio" to communicate with Nikon's newer flashes. That control unit was/is referred to as Commander mode.

The SB910 has it's own Commander mode built in... NOW instead of using the camera's Commander mode to control the SB910 ON a D500, you just use the Commander Mode on the SB910 to control other CLS compatible flashes...

I wouldn't look for an SB910 if that were my primary camera... unless the price was sub-$100 because there are many NEW flash systems in that <$100 price point that support a radio control protocol... If the price of the SB910 is under $100, that's still an excellent flash...

YongNuo makes excellent radio triggers that work with that camera and flash for less than $100... That would give you the ability to use the SB910 ON or OFF camera with the D500

Fred,
Thanks so much for your input. Is it just for the lack of radio communications that you wouldn't recommend the SB-910?
If I only cared about optical communication, would you then feel it was a decent choice, of course excluding cost considerations?

Fred Kingston

Fred,
Thanks so much for your input. Is it just for the lack of radio communications that you wouldn't recommend the SB-910?
If I only cared about optical communication, would you then feel it was a decent choice, of course excluding cost considerations?

The entire discussion really only comes into play if you have a second speedlite or other lighting.

If you have just the SB-910, it must be mounted ON the D500... If you want to use the single SB-910 OFF camera, you'll need a radio trigger and receiver... If you don't have other speedlites or strobes... STOP here....

If you intend to use multiple lights, then the only lights that SB-910 will Control using Commander Mode will be other Nikon CLS lights... <--that is a limiting factor...

As a single ON camera light for the D500, the SB-910 is an excellent light... As the beginnings of a multi-light system... there are other, better solutions...

AJV

The entire discussion really only comes into play if you have a second speedlite or other lighting.

If you have just the SB-910, it must be mounted ON the D500... If you want to use the single SB-910 OFF camera, you'll need a radio trigger and receiver... If you don't have other speedlites or strobes... STOP here....

If you intend to use multiple lights, then the only lights that SB-910 will Control using Commander Mode will be other Nikon CLS lights... <--that is a limiting factor...

As a single ON camera light for the D500, the SB-910 is an excellent light... As the beginnings of a multi-light system... there are other, better solutions...

Wow !!!
Much to think about, Fred. I appreciate you bringing all these options to my attention.
I have the Nikon R1C1 flash system. What I was thinking of doing was not a very large system. I actually had nothing definitive in mind. Only thought that:
1) maybe the SB-910 as a master (commander) on the D500 could possibly drive the two SB-R200's (slaves)
OR
2) possibly use the SU-800 on the D500 (commander) to drive the SB-910 and/or the SB-R200's (slaves) or any other CLS Nikon flashes that I might later acquire

My ideas are small enough that I don't think a lack of radio communication is a dealbreaker, but I'm a newbie in this realm........

What say you, my friend ???

Fred Kingston

It will do all that you just listed... The only issues I have with CLS have been its limited use for me in daylight situations and situations of distance... I close, studio conditions it works great... I've had spotty consistency in out-door conditions where line-of-sight isn't available...

How much$ are you getting the 910 for???? A really good price might make all this conversation moot. :)

AJV

It will do all that you just listed... The only issues I have with CLS have been its limited use for me in daylight situations and situations of distance... I close, studio conditions it works great... I've had spotty consistency in out-door conditions where line-of-sight isn't available...

How much$ are you getting the 910 for???? A really good price might make all this conversation moot. :)

Thanks for confirming all those things I had hoped to do. I greatly appreciate you sharing your expert experience and observations with someone like myself who has basically no flash experience. I really didn't know that CLS was so sketchy, especially outdoors.

Unfortunately I have not found a good price for the SB-910. What I've found is a price range between $260 and $500.
Still not sure what I'm going to do but one can always make a better decision when you have knowledge on your side.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise with me, my friend.

AJV

Thanks again to all, for sharing your flash photography knowledge and expertise with a flash newbie.
My humble appreciation goes out to all you fine Nikonites.