prime or zoom?

Slipperman

awesome.. just got my reimbursement check from SquareTrade - got all $549 back. should come in handy for buying a new lens whichever one that might be.

VicVideopIC

I use wide lenses a lot, but I do mainly time lapses, so possibility of use of filter is a must, also image stabilisation also a must (in London tripods are off limit in most places), finally I don't need a fast lens on my D850 for wide angle.
So I went for the Nikkor 16-35 F4 and I really like the results I am getting.
Maybe later on I will get a prime 14mm (of course they don't take filters) just for those special shots

editorial_use_only

Yes I've been in the market for a wide-angle full frame lens for some time. It's a tough one for me because I work in a lot of low-light venues, so f/1.4 or f/1.8 primes make a big difference over the f/4 or f/2.8 zooms. But then, with primes I find I'm too far away from the stage (or whatever) and wish I had the versatility of a zoom to get more pixels on the subject. And then I have filters for everything in 77mm so I'd prefer that, and so on.

If it's any help, here's a partial list of options I made. Maybe there's something you haven't looked at. I think they are sorted from high to low price, about $1200 at the top to $400 for the Tokina 17-35, but haven't been that careful with making the list.

Tamron 15-30/2.8 VC
Tamron G2 24-70/2.8
Nikon 12-24/4 G DX
Nikon 24-120/4
Sigma 24-35/2
Nikon 24/1.4 or 35/1.4 or 24-70/2.8G used
Nikon 16-35/4
Nikon 10-24/3.5-4.5 G DX
Nikon 20mm/1.8
Nikon 18-35/3.5-4.5
Tamron 28-300
Tamron 35/1.8
Tokina 16-28/2.8
Nikon 24-85/3.5-4.5
Tokina 17-35/4

Moab Man

This is the one I have. It is chipped so that when manually focusing it will indicate focus (little green ball lower left of view finder).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...viet7VltdGINBBAijiPXLtF2cqc2_d9EaAsnnEALw_wcB

That one you shared is more than twice the price and a tad bit faster. I would suggest doing some research on reviews and see what all that extra money gets you. I did some reading and did not come away with strong enough findings to justify the price difference and would probably still go with the original that I linked.