Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

I'm partial to the New York Central lightening stripe scheme that was used on their passenger trains. That being said the Santa Fe Warbonnet has to be the best ever. Great photo Sandpatch. :encouragement:

Thank you. Lionel agreed with your NYC lightning stripe appraisal. Fun Fact: When Lionel introduced its landmark F-3 diesel in 1948, it was initially released in only two road names, Santa Fe (for western markets) and New York Central (for the east). It enticed both railroads to underwrite a portion of the die and tooling cost in exchange for advertising exclusivity and for only $6,000 each, both invested and saw their railroads heralded in a full page color spread in 1,000,000 Lionel catalogs. :)

Sandpatch

Today's Train 15R in Blythewood, SC at track speed, pourin' on the coal as it were.

2022-10-15 Blythewood SC - for Nikonites.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Taken yesterday at Lowell, NC was Train 283 led by three BNSF locomotives. I like this location a bunch with the vintage Southern Railway signal bridge. The shot's backlit, but I've seen very few BNSF units and am glad to have it. That's my wife to the left in matching orange shirt. :)

2022-10-22d Lowell NC - for upload to Nikonites.jpg

Last edited:

crashton

Great catch Sandpatch! Love the vintage signals. Up here they are falling by the day, CSX & NS seem to hate the old ones. Get your pictures of them while you can. While the BNSF locomotives need a wash that GTI hiding in the background looks very clean. :encouragement:

Sandpatch

... While the BNSF locomotives need a wash that GTI hiding in the background looks very clean. :encouragement:

:D:cool:! Thank you. You have a keen eye my friend. We'd taken the GTI on a 1500+ Mile road trip to NJ and it definitely earned a bath. Yesterday's trip to NC soon thereafter was to see some fall colors and we just so happened to come upon the NS main line while out. That's my story anyway. :)

Bikerbrent

Unfortunately today, far too many locomotives look like this 1991 locomotives!! You really need to go even further back to get nice looking locomotives!!

Sandpatch

Unfortunately today, far too many locomotives look like this 1991 locomotives!! You really need to go even further back to get nice looking locomotives!!

One of the cleanest units I've seen was Norfolk Southern's Virginian Heritage Unit, taken 04/20/2013 when it was nearly new. Sadly, these specially painted locomotives have since become as dirty as all the others. It's not an NS phenomenon though, as grime pervades throughout most of the nation.

2013-04-20 Columbia SC NS 1069 h2 - for upload.JPG

Last edited:

crashton

I've not seen this one before sandpatch. Thanks for another great image from the time-machine. :encouragement:
The E8 is one of one of my favorite locomotives. It's a real shame no new locomotives have the wonderful looks of that old girl.

nikonpup

IF YOU POST A SMALL IMAGE IT CAN BE MADE LARGER WITH THE NEW SOFTWARE. AFTER POSTING A IMAGE CLICK ON THE IMAGE AND YOU SHOULD SEE A SMALL BLUE SQUARE IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. CLICK ON THAT AND DRAG IT TO THE RIGHT, THE IMAGE WILL GET LARGER THE FURTHER YOU DRAG IT. I AM NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT FRED MEANT BY UPSCALING. ALSO, A CLICK ON A IMAGE WILL OPEN IT LARGER IN ANOTHER WINDOW.

Sandpatch

@Sandpatch Have you considered upscaling these old film scans?????

I see that the scans I uploaded before the software change look small, but they were larger when seen on the old software. Per @nikonpup 's discovery, If you click on them, they get larger.

The images uploaded on the new software are okay in size, like today's Bluefield, WV picture right? I normally upload 800 x 497. I'm not very knowledgeable on this kind of thing.

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

There are methods and software now... to take an older low-resolution image (film scan) and using AI, it increases the resolution, reduces the noise, and sharpens the image...

I notice that you sometimes post older low-res film images from years ago... and wonder if you intend to re-visit those images in your catalogue and edit them at some point for the future...