Post your Milky Way shots

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
After 15 seconds you will start getting some movement. They do make telescope mounts that do track the stars and if he was shooting a galaxy he had to of had a telescope mounted to his camera.
equatorial mount that is computer controlled will do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the explanation, Don! That's actually fascinating. :)

Daniel Aegerter

6b00c28f596060c82c577a3a0190329a.jpg

Result of my first ever attempt.
It is nearly impossible in Switzerland to be away from light pollution...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dawg Pics

Wake up ye Milky Way thread.

My first Milky Way image with a crappy lens, light pollution and houses in the way. Camera was acting buggy again. Struggled a little with processing, but here it is.

milky way 1 FR 500_2779.jpg

TwistedThrottle

D75_0807-Pano-2.jpg

This is a 7 frame vertical pano that could be in the "almost" section. The 3rd or 4th frame shifted due to a cheap ballhead and I didnt quite get the whole comet (seen at the top) because I couldnt shift any further, I was bumping against the "rail" of the ballhead. In hindsight, I should have adjusted the tripod legs.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
My humble trial to get the milky way. I guess I was too early and didn't have a wide enough lens.

2MC_3301.jpg

BF Hammer

I am going to go back to 2017 on a night when I was set up looking for Aurora that did not happen. I noticed I could just make out the Milky Way looking up. So I turned the tripod around and attempted to photograph the Milky Way without actually having done any research into how to do it right. I just figured I would try, I had my Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art and thought it would be easy. Here is the best shot on the night. I did not know about layer stacking at all.

nvV13l4.jpg

Each of the past 2 summers, I set up at a different park, and tried my hand some more. Learning each time and also how to do layer stacking. This past month I was at the original park photographing NEOWISE. I ended my last night doing this by turning around and photographing that view again. Not an exact composition to the original, but pretty close. This time with a FX D750 and Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art.

HyP9r92.jpg

I've only just begun.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am going to go back to 2017 on a night when I was set up looking for Aurora that did not happen. I noticed I could just make out the Milky Way looking up. So I turned the tripod around and attempted to photograph the Milky Way without actually having done any research into how to do it right. I just figured I would try, I had my Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art and thought it would be easy. Here is the best shot on the night. I did not know about layer stacking at all.

View attachment 343034

Each of the past 2 summers, I set up at a different park, and tried my hand some more. Learning each time and also how to do layer stacking. This past month I was at the original park photographing NEOWISE. I ended my last night doing this by turning around and photographing that view again. Not an exact composition to the original, but pretty close. This time with a FX D750 and Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art.

View attachment 343036

I've only just begun.

You definitely made huge strides there, BF Hammer. :encouragement: So what is the yellow area in the bottom photo? Stars don't tend to show up when the sun hasn't set fully, do they (asks someone who lives in an area filled with haze and light pollution)?

BF Hammer

There is a lake and a highway in the farther background. A small city is out of frame to the left. The light pollution is an issue that way. I did use a light-pollution filter in front of the lens, but it was beginning to fog with dew around midnight when I did this. I use Sequator to stack landscapes like this and it also has a reduce light-pollution slider that I used. I think that is why it gets so yellow without much fade. I likely had the "aggressive" check mark on for light pollution reduction.

Here is a single image outtake I liked because of some car headlights on the trees. It gives a better picture of how that horizon did look.

eOTTOmt.jpg

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There is a lake and a highway in the farther background. A small city is out of frame to the left. The light pollution is an issue that way. I did use a light-pollution filter in front of the lens, but it was beginning to fog with dew around midnight when I did this. I use Sequator to stack landscapes like this and it also has a reduce light-pollution slider that I used. I think that is why it gets so yellow without much fade. I likely had the "aggressive" check mark on for light pollution reduction.

Here is a single image outtake I liked because of some car headlights on the trees. It gives a better picture of how that horizon did look.

View attachment 343045

That looks interesting with the headlights shining on the trees. :)

BF Hammer

From last year at a lake well past the park's closing hour. I was waiting for the clouds and the waning twilight to go away, so I just experimented with a selfie. I actually like this composition with the clouds better.

7xAif9h.jpg

cbg

Finally got a shot of the Milky Way. Taken at the KOA near the Badlands National Park, SD. Single shot processed in Lightroom.
20200909_7907.jpg