Post your church shots

Clovishound

DSC_0340.jpg

Silversnapper

I looked back at this church as I left via a side gate and I was taken with the soft mellow glow of the Yorkshire sandstone of its construction and the incongruity of having to lay claim to its own waste bin, albeit in a rather unique manner. Then I read the inscription on the foreground headstone of a couple and their child. I was saddened to read that the mother had passed away only a few short months after their son was born and that he himself had died at the tender age of 22 months. We have much to thank modern medicine and healthcare for.
Kirk Smeaton Church.jpg

Clovishound

My wife does genealogy. The abundance of child mortality prior to the 20th century is staggering to those of us use to modern medicine and modern sanitation. Very common to see a couple have 8 -10 children and only a couple make it to adulthood. Often some disease going through would take out a handful of children at one time. Also very common for women to die from childbirth, especially after the number of children and years began to rack up.

Dawg Pics

My wife does genealogy. The abundance of child mortality prior to the 20th century is staggering to those of us use to modern medicine and modern sanitation. Very common to see a couple have 8 -10 children and only a couple make it to adulthood. Often some disease going through would take out a handful of children at one time. Also very common for women to die from childbirth, especially after the number of children and years began to rack up.
I used to do cemetery images. The older the cemetery, the better. One of the most interesting monuments was very large. It was a statue of 2 or 3 children. I can't remember now. The base had I think 4 kid's names with one being, "the unamed one." It is sad when. you walk around and see how many kids from the same family died, often within a short time.