Not much action in here

Iansky

Hooray - received my DF back this morning after 6 weeks without it so despite the rain I will be going out later to put it through its paces and remind myself why I purchased it.

The sad part is that I received a response back today from my query to Nikon Customer Service sent 27 Sep! I did inform them that I ended up contacting John Walshe (UK MD) and his PA assisted me in resolving the situation, she responded the same day as my email and could not have been more helpful - just a shame their Customer Service is so poor at responding.

Iansky

The DF is back after having been serviced, part replaced cleaned and a new grip and leatherette cover - working like a dream and I must thank "Fixation" for a job well done despite the delay by Nikon supplying the parts required.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Great, I hope it gives you long hours of pleasure.

I find the color rendition has always pleased me very much. I was never deceived by it's performance.

dsc_4802.jpg

Iansky

Great to see that there are a few more DF users out there - just need to see some more images from these owners so if you are a DF owner please share some of your images.

Fortkentdad

Nikon D610 vs DF - Our Analysis

yes it is overpriced for what it does. You are paying for the look here.

D610 out preforms at $1,000 less

Good to know, being a D610 shooter it is good to see good news about the D610

While I love the look I'd spend my money on a camera that offered more performance.

But people pay for bling - just walk into any jewelers - ask what the $3,000 ring does better than the $1,000 ring?
Make her smile wider?

Nero

I've only known one person who has owned a DF. I would like to try it, it would be kind of fun to have a DSLR that looks like a film camera.

Iansky

While I love the look I'd spend my money on a camera that offered more performance.

But people pay for bling - just walk into any jewelers - ask what the $3,000 ring does better than the $1,000 ring?
Make her smile wider?

It is very much a "Marmite camera" and certainly not bling - I bought mine used with 13k shutter actuations at almost half the new price. I purchased mine because I wanted a D4 sensor in a smaller and lighter body with a tactile input option, it does meet and exceed my expectation which is the critical factor for me and like all equipment makes it a very personnel choice.

Unfortunately many who criticize the camera and see it as "Bling" have probably not handled let alone taken images with it - what a shame they are so quick to judge without trying it and seeing just what it can deliver.

We should all remember that many "Official reviews" are sponsored by the manufacturer who are trying to boost sales of a particular model.

Last edited:

Iansky

Igor, I just love your website and the photos you have in it, a variety of subjects and styles.

Do you use the DF for your professional work (I know this shot is with the DF) and in the studio?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nikon D610 vs DF - Our Analysis

yes it is overpriced for what it does. You are paying for the look here.

D610 out preforms at $1,000 less

Make her smile wider?

I haven't tried a DF but am still amazed by the quality of photos taken with my D610. Many people say to go with the D750 over the D610, but the D610 is no slouch. And with the price of the D610, it's a fantastic way to enter the realm of FX.

However, I really like the looks of the DF and am under the impression is too is a fantastic camera. Fortunately we don't have to squeeze into the one-size-fits-all mentality! :encouragement:

SkvLTD

Igor, I just love your website and the photos you have in it, a variety of subjects and styles.

Do you use the DF for your professional work (I know this shot is with the DF) and in the studio?

Thanks Ian! So, given 600 and free shutters, I do my best to put all the mileage on it rather than Df, but when I know I'll be networking/strolling around town/doing night life without flash/sneaking into a concert as a "pos hipster camera" then it's Df all the way! And especially for networking, Df is like wearing a full on suit w/ a tie vs a sports jacket and an untucked T - people notice it's different, people ask about it and then get to see what it can do.

Aesthetics are very important, and liking them even more so to help with overall workflow zen. You can drive stick or auto and both will get you from A to B, but in a completely different experience.

Now, 750 being more of a bargain I can see, but 610? The name of the game is low light ISO ability here, and assuming video isn't necessary. It's no slouch for sure, but 600/610 is NOT a Df.

Iansky

I attended the local drag hunt meet on Boxing Day and had the DF with 24-120 to compliment the D500 with 300mm.

The DF did a superb job and captured some images I am really pleased with, these are a few - the first image if of the Earl's mansion house as he owns the park.

ilg_2063-frameshop.jpg
ilg_2087-frameshop.jpg
ilg_2069-frameshop.jpg
ilg_2098-frameshop.jpg
ilg_2120-frameshop.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I just realized that I've been neglecting promoting the Df. It has a great sensor, it's light and fun to use. So I'll post a few pics done this month.

Dhalia 15 juilt.jpg

DSC_4075.jpg

DSC_4170.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
My favorite April shot. Df with 28-80 3.3-5.6 AF lens. This combo is light fast and sharp and, since there is no VR and it cost me only 50$, I'm not afraid to take it out in rough weather conditions.

311063-post-your-favorite-april-shot-2019-a-dsc_7742.jpg

Needa

Challenge Team
My favorite April shot. Df with 28-80 3.3-5.6 AF lens. This combo is light fast and sharp and, since there is no VR and it cost me only 50$, I'm not afraid to take it out in rough weather conditions.

If you want to send me a DF I'm willing to post. :) Seriously I wonder how many members have a DF.