Nikon D800 vs Canon 5d Mark III

Eye-level

Banned
I can't wait until you get it because all of your photos are good and it will be interesting to see the differences between full frame high ISO and DX high ISO...I hope you do some testing in that area.

And at least you didn't buy a damn cannon 3d mark whatever...

That banner ad up there is starting to tick me off...lol

Last edited:

fotojack

Quite frankly, I don't know why there is even a discussion of another brand of camera in a Nikon only web site. Compare one Nikon model to another if you want, but to compare to other brands??? Nikon admirers will buy Nikons...Canon admirers will buy Canons...and so on. You want to discuss Canons, go to a Canon web site forum. There's a reason this site is called Nikonites!

Eye-level

Banned
What he said! Spelled N-I-K-O-N...

Any one wanna take a stab at how many times the word Nikon appears in this photo? :)

009.JPG

Eye-level

Banned
Made you look as my children would say! haha Had to do something to distract you from that god awful banner ad...lol

8...but...counting all the ones you cannot see (that I know of maybe there are more in the cases) those four cameras are stamped with the word Nikon a total of 21 times...

That is quality! LOL

Last edited:

BBrown

Decisions, decisions. Canon or Nikon? I had to take the plunge and decide on a Canon 5D Mk 3 or a Nikon D800. Canon people seem to gravitate towards Canon and Nikon towards Nikon. It's akin to Ford people vs Chevy people. To commit to the digital realm, I was faced with a complete equipment replacement. Everything I own is film. I have a Canon F-1 that I bought back in 1974. My favorite go-to lens was their 35mm f1.4. Unfortunately, my lenses are all C-mount and therefore not backwards compatible. High ISO's were not a factor as I rarely, if ever, shoot sports or action events. In the analogue world, my primary film was Kodak Tri-X 400 shot and developed with a 2-stop variation for shadow depth. I feel both the Canon and Nikon have pluses and minuses. Without going into all of the fine details, I decided to jump ship and go with the Nikon D800, Nikon - AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G and the Nikon - AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens. Believe me, it was an agonizing decision. I hope I don't regret it.

bpx

This thread caught my attention as I am looking to buy either the D800E or 5D MKiii.
I have owned both Nikon and Canon cameras, and have no allegiance to either company.
I have been researching both cameras for some months now, and started as soon as the 5D MKiii was announced.
This video was quite informative.(5D Mark 3 Reactions to Announcement - YouTube)
I have also looked at the Fred Miranda and Ken Rockwell comparisons.
I have now come to the conclusion that for my needs, there really is only one clear winner - the 5D MKiii.
I'm sure the D800E is a good camera, but it just can not stand up against the 5D MKiii

Robert Mitchell

At this stage of the game, regardless of where one camera may excel over the other, both companies are producing outstanding cameras. Direct comparisons can be tough and for me, I always look at a piece of gear for what it is and what it does rather than how it looks next to something similar but with glaring differences... :)

I've shot both systems extensively and have a long list of likes and dislikes with each brand. I've been very frustrated and angered by each manufacturer and I've also been thrilled and completely in love with each, but I've come to understand that there is always compromise and no such thing as a perfect product.

Personal preference plays into the decision heavily. Some people like the ergonomics and controls of one or the feel of the body in hand. There are so many variables. Some want to pixel peep and analyze rather than just shooting, viewing and printing to determine if they like the IQ and color rendering. Auto focus and exposure systems vary and can influence your decision.

For many people, it's all about glass and while Nikon has a great selection of some amazing lenses, there is a general feeling amongst photographers that Canon has a more well rounded selection. I'm not saying it's true but it is the perception.

In the end, when viewing beautiful images, I can't tell the difference and don't care to look for them. Both systems produce stunning images and users are very happy. There will always be lemons and horror stories but those are usually isolated incidents and they happen on both sides of the fence.

My advice to anyone looking at DSLR bodies these days is to buy what you like and what makes you happy, even if it's something as silly as the logo or color, etc... :)

You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon these days.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
This thread caught my attention as I am looking to buy either the D800E or 5D MKiii.
I have owned both Nikon and Canon cameras, and have no allegiance to either company.
I have been researching both cameras for some months now, and started as soon as the 5D MKiii was announced.
This video was quite informative.(5D Mark 3 Reactions to Announcement - YouTube)
I have now come to the conclusion that for my needs, there really is only one clear winner - the 5D MKiii.
I'm sure the D800E is a good camera, but it just can not stand up against the 5D MKiii

bpx, you should take a look at this review by Fred Miranda, a long time Canon shooter, whom I think was hoping the D800 would turn out to be inferior to the 5D and instead found the D800 to be vastly superior in a number of ways, especially in the low light detail and over all dynamic range. His review can be found here - Canon 5D Mark III - Nikon D800 Review

Robert Mitchell

I do pay attention to reviews and analysis, but I pay close attention to real world shooters that put the cameras through their paces on a daily basis and report their findings. Again, without sitting the cameras down side by side and looking at 100% crops, you'll find that 5DMkIII owners can't stop raving about their cameras and many of them were also looking at Nikon D800/E's.

I'm not pushing one way or the other but I know from experience that for me it comes down to shooting and I don't always make decisions based solely on popular reviewers and sites.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Guess I don't understand why you're posting this here, sounds like you would be more at home on a Canon forum.

TedG954

I worked for, and retired from, CANON, USA. :victorious:

I had deep discounts for CANON products. :greedy_dollars:

I chose CANON for my PnS's and NIKON for serious work. :cool:

And, nobody trusts Ken Rockwell's opinions anyway. He obviously fooled you. :suspicion:

Robert Mitchell

As you can see, it's all preference. You're going to get people that feel strongly about each product and depending on the fora you're asking, you'll get the expected responses with an occasional outspoken rogue opinion. :)