Nikon D3200 vs D5100

Cowboybillybob1

I would like to ask a question trgarding the D3200's lack of braketing. If you put the D3200 on a tripod and took 3 photos using exposure compensatio with 1 norman, one overexposed by two stops and one under by two would not that be the same thing. That's easy to do on the D3200. In fact it's almost as easy as changing some menu settings to get the same result.

Am i wrong here and did I overlook something.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I would like to ask a question trgarding the D3200's lack of braketing. If you put the D3200 on a tripod and took 3 photos using exposure compensatio with 1 norman, one overexposed by two stops and one under by two would not that be the same thing. That's easy to do on the D3200. In fact it's almost as easy as changing some menu settings to get the same result.

Am i wrong here and did I overlook something.

You're right. It would be the same thing. But you need the tripod as where if you use the continuous high mode with a model that has the braketing, you just press the shutter button and wait for the three or more exposure are taken and it only takes about 1 second. So you can work without the tripod.

Rick M

Make sure you shoot in Aperture priority mode, tripod as Marcel stated and set the ISO. The only thing you want to change is the shutter speed. I did allot of bracketing with the D3100 and they came out good. The downside is the lack of speed. Fast moving clouds will be a problem. Use a remote shutter release or the built in timer with countinuous mode.

Thrash

Hi guys,
I am contemplating whether to exchange my D3200 for the D5100 or whether to just keep it. I really like the camera but ive noticed and read that it only the top lenses do it justice; using the 35mm f1.8 it does look incredible and I love it but obviously not all lenses are that good, chances are I wont be able to buy any of the best lenses, the kit lens isnt very good with it either. Does the same apply for the D5100? Do you need top glass for that to live up to its potential too? I always use the kit lens and have done on all my cameras because its such a useful range but the pictures with it on the D3200 are poor, if it performs better on the D5100 then id much prefer that, im assuming the 35mm f1.8 performs great on any camera regardless.

Any thoughts?

Cowboybillybob1

Thanks to Marel and Rick.

What you describe is exactly what I do. I appreciate your feedback. I suspect I am a potential buyer of the D5200 when It comes out.

Last edited:

suvlady

I got the D3200 in early December and am contemplating returning it for the D5100. The one thing that I am not clear on is besides using the bracketing for HDR, what else exactly would you use it for? I do alot of cropping on my photos, which is what let me to the D3200 and I can manually do the bracketing if I want to play around with HDR. I just need some clarity on when else the bracketing would come into play.

Old school bracketing. We always bracketed by shooting normal and then adjust over and under manually. Normally, I do not bracket unless I am shooting landscape on a tripod. Everything else, I chimp and adjust exposure if necessary. Auto bracketing is no big deal and frankly, I rarely use auto bracketing on cameras I have owned with that feature.

Chris1983

For a complete newbie to DSLR (experience is with <$100 point & shoots only), which camera would you say is the most "User Friendly"? My wife and I will both be learning from scratch here, and since they are both great units I want the one which helps that learning move along. The D3200 "Guide Mode" DOES seem to do that.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

nickt

For a complete newbie to DSLR (experience is with <$100 point & shoots only), which camera would you say is the most "User Friendly"? My wife and I will both be learning from scratch here, and since they are both great units I want the one which helps that learning move along. The D3200 "Guide Mode" DOES seem to do that.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

The folks here will be discouraging you from using guide mode. Just make the commitment to learn a few basics and you won't need guide mode. You don't need to go all pro and start shooting in manual though. Auto mode is OK for a few days to have some fun, then 'P' mode is a good place to leave the camera while you learn. 'P' is somewhat automatic but gives you a more flexibility. As you learn, you will know when to move off of P mode to achieve effects that you want.

So don't worry about the training wheels guide mode in your decision. Go with the other features you want. Both cameras are very similar to use in the normal modes. I'd probably go with the 5100 given the choice of these two. Before you get the camera, read up on the basics of exposure. The user manual will make much more sense if you understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and iso. Those parameters come together in a balanced way to make a properly exposed image. Learn this and understand why you would want to change one parameter over another and you will have a lot more fun with the camera. One or two internet surf sessions should get you understanding exposure enough to tackle the user manual.

Chris1983

I was chatting with my niece last night; she said she favored the 3200 for: picture quality, color, more megapixels and was ranked higher among the competitors than the 5100 did.

​I'm getting a headache. ;-)

Rick M

I was chatting with my niece last night; she said she favored the 3200 for: picture quality, color, more megapixels and was ranked higher among the competitors than the 5100 did.

​I'm getting a headache. ;-)

Go with a d5200 best of both worlds it will be worth the cost in all of these scenarios.

Rick M

I understand. But ...,I've wasted a lot of money not waiting/saving to get what I should have the first time. Bought the d3100 without realizing much I would use bracketing and took the loss to get it in the d5100.

sophi

Hello every Nikonian ,

For me I think Nikon D5200 is best than Nikon D3200. But I didn't try D5100. Will you please tell me is it wise to shift D5200 to D5100. MY husband Marvin Wrote a personal review about Nikon D5200 best buy - now i am in dilemma .... will anyone help me ?

Jassmin

You are right Jdeg, almost every beginner to photography ask this question.
Nikon D3200 is new than Nikon D5100 and it can provide a good image quality, while Nikon D5100 have a rotate screen that allow you to take pictures in places where you can't go behind your camera.