Nikon 70-200 f/4 G Lens

Woodyg3

Contributor
I found a great deal on a used 70-200 f/4 and was wondering if anyone here has experience with this lens. I am interested in a lighter/smaller lens than the 70-200 f/2.8. I'm especially interested in opinions on the AF of this lens. Gracias in advance for any input.

Fred Kingston

I had one...and just recently sold it back to MPB... and bought the 2.8 from a friend... It was a fine lens... the most significant difference was the weight... The F4, I thought, was a tad soft... and I found I needed the extra stop more than I was getting... The softness may have been a single copy issue with that one lens... and becomes irrelevant with available software correction... I just wanted the 2.8...

Edited to add... I don't think you'll be disappointed with the F4

Just one further point...The F4, unlike the 2.8 is NOT weather sealed... that might be a serious consideration depending on the type of shooting conditions you find yourself in...

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I have both the f/4 VR as well as the f/2.8 VRii. My copy of the f/4 is sharp. Wait, let me say it this way ... my copy of the f/4 is TACK SHARP! ;) Right out of the box, my f/4 was sharper than my f/2.8 VRii.

And it is much lighter in weight than the f/2.8 making it preferable to use outdoors. My f/2.8 is what I tend to go with if I'm shooting inside without flash simply because it allows an extra stop of light.

I purchased mine pre-owned through an Amazon seller. And honestly it is in like-new condition. It has the optional tripod foot which I really wanted. I'm not sure if it is absolutely necessary to use the foot. However, my preference is to use a tripod foot when the weight of the lens weighs more than a body. And I believe it is a little heavier. I still have my Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, but my 70-200 f/4 VR surpasses it. I really should sell my 70-300mm because it just doesn't get any use.

AND ... even though I have my 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR which is my preferred wildlife lens, there are times I just go with the 70-200mm f/4 VR.

I have a Nikon 1.4x TC that quite often is paired with my 300mm f/4 PF. While the TC is stellar on the 300mm, I don't think it has quite the WOW effect on the 70-200mm f/4 VR. But it is an option for you if you still have yours (at least I *think* you have a 1.4x TC).
:confused:

Here is the tripod foot for the 70-200mm f/4 VR.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898790-REG/Nikon_4981_RT_1_TriPod_Collar_Ring.html

1352197283_898790.jpg

Rick M

I'm late to the party, but you definitely made the right decision. That was my favorite F mount lens, if I remember correctly, internal focus and zoom. Mine was sharp, great on any format, I had a lot of fun with it on the Nikon 1 system too.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I'm late to the party, but you definitely made the right decision. That was my favorite F mount lens, if I remember correctly, internal focus and zoom. Mine was sharp, great on any format, I had a lot of fun with it on the Nikon 1 system too.

Rick, the reason I purchased my copy of the 70-200mm f/4 VR was based on comments and images by both you and Jake. At the time, I was using my 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR which just wasn't giving me the results I wanted. So thank you for your input all those years ago. :cool: My copy is stellar.

Rick M

Rick, the reason I purchased my copy of the 70-200mm f/4 VR was based on comments and images by both you and Jake. At the time, I was using my 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR which just wasn't giving me the results I wanted. So thank you for your input all those years ago. :cool: My copy is stellar.

You're Welcome!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Today I photographed a falconry event. Usually my go-to combo would be my D500 paired with my 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens. But after an injury to my shoulder, I cannot hold the weight. And since I'm not accustomed to using a monopod, I opted for my 70-200mm f/4 VR on a monopod. I figured it would be easier to handle. If I had a gimbal head, most likely that would be the best type of monopod head for wildlife. But I just used a Manfrotto monopod head.

I really don't make use of this lens often enough. It really is a stellar lens.

_5DX3683 low res.jpg

Dangerspouse

Wow, that is an AMAZING shot! The clarity is so impressive. Look at the feet! The eyes! Not to mention the bokeh. Fantastic Cindy, just fantastic :encouragement:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Wow, that is an AMAZING shot! The clarity is so impressive. Look at the feet! The eyes! Not to mention the bokeh. Fantastic Cindy, just fantastic :encouragement:

Thanks, DS. I LOVE this lens and really should make use of it more often. As you mentioned, its bokeh is amazing especially compared to my Nikon 80-400mm VR which I normally use. I lucked out buying this preowned through an Amazon seller. And it came with a tripod foot which is usually sold separately. I have no complaints about it at all. :encouragement:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Here is another one from yesterday. Since I am having issues with my shoulder and was using a monopod, I finally decided to lower my shutter speed knowing I wasn't going to photograph Rangle flying. This reached ISO 5000 with a shutter speed of 1/2000", but there really wasn't any reason to keep my shutter that high under the circumstances.

Usually I do an edit that wasn't done here - typically I go back to Camera RAW and use a brush over the background to adjust the noise. However, I didn't do that this time.

_5DX3732 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
@Dangerspouse - you mentioned the bokeh of this lens although this post isn't exactly talking about bokeh. I am not able to see in 3D; however, I can tell this image has depth to it. In fact, to me it seems as though there is more depth in this image than what I see in real life. Every once in a while I come across an image that yields this type of illusion.

And just to give everyone a little more info on the interactive sessions, Rangle's handler says Rangle doesn't have any sense of personal space. What the people find out is at times when Rangle zips by at a really fast speed, once in a while his wing will graze someone's body. That happened to me Saturday. It's hilarious to see the people's reactions when he flies past so close and so quickly.

_5DX3791 low res.jpg

Clovishound

We have a raptor rescue center nearby. They have demonstrations with some of the birds they cannot let back into the wild. Once a month they have a photographers day where you can get even better access to the birds. Some of the birds fly pretty close to the visitors. One of the most impressive demonstrations is a falcon diving from height. They have been clocked at over 200 mph in a dive.

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0454.jpg