Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED

mikew_RIP

Can some one confirm for me, the aperture is wide open when the lens is not on a camera isnt it,considering one for my Olympus as i know they are sharpe wide open and DOF would be no problem on m4/3.

xMachiavelli

ea433e607e26f48463d2faed2d7614a5.jpg

It's been a while since I've been able to spend some quality time with my D500. Here was a quick shot of my sister's pup. BW for dramatic effect. :)

Hoping to get the 300mm back on some birds soon.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Can some one confirm for me, the aperture is wide open when the lens is not on a camera isnt it,considering one for my Olympus as i know they are sharpe wide open and DOF would be no problem on m4/3.

The Nikon 300mm f/4 VR PF, Mike, or the non-PF (heavier) one? I have both and will check.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The Nikon 300mm f/4 VR PF, Mike, or the non-PF (heavier) one? I have both and will check.

Mike, the non-PF version has the aperture ring on the lens--the AF-S IF-ED version. So it is open to whatever aperture it is set to.

xMachiavelli

a43af0a272a12f0e55ceaca674c2bafc.jpg

The newest addition to the family. Was forced to use the 300 when capturing this one, she's way too curious now so I had to keep some distance otherwise she would be nose to nose with my lens.

Sempusa

I just purchased a used 300 AF-S from a good source and have had it out only once so I need some more time in the field. The first thing I noticed is how noisy the AF motor is? I wouldn't call it 'squealing' -- more like knocking around. I quickly changed to a custom setting that uses center focusing on my 7100 so the lens would stop jumping around to different AF points. This helped and I was impressed by the AF speed, just too bad it made so much noise? Can you provide a link to this squealing issue, I like to see if the one I bought has to go back. I also noticed that after about two dozen shots my battery was pretty well drained - it may have not been fully charged at the start but thought I'd mention it in case that is also an issue.
I have a 90 day return window but really don't like returning. So I'm planning to spend lots more time shooting- I upgraded my monopod and mounts but didn't go for the 1.4 converter yet. I researched lots before deciding on this lens over a 200-500 which I heard has sharpness issues between individual units so you have to hope for a good one even when buying new.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
@Sempusa if it is this one, it shouldn't be squealing. I have one that is very quiet, but because it was heavy and I have tendonitis in my right hand, I opted to upgrade to a preowned PF. If anything, this lens is probably the sharpest lens I own even edging out my PF by a hair.

1490887328_207356.jpg

Sempusa

@hark, Yes, that's the one and thanks for the feedback. Again, I would not say it is 'squealing' ..more like it clicks as it AFs from spot to spot - more noticeable than my other lenses. Might be just fine, I'm used to a 55-200mm, and like you mentioned this one is a lot heavier, so maybe, just the bigger optics sliding into place. I am also finding out that I'm unable to hand hold (must be getting old) and get sharp images with any consistency which was my thinking for the purchase. Again, I need to spend more time with it but so far I'm a little disappointed. I'm taking a trip next week to walk the beach so I will put it thru my usual shooting routine and have lots to look at afterwards.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
@hark, Yes, that's the one and thanks for the feedback. Again, I would not say it is 'squealing' ..more like it clicks as it AFs from spot to spot - more noticeable than my other lenses. Might be just fine, I'm used to a 55-200mm, and like you mentioned this one is a lot heavier, so maybe, just the bigger optics sliding into place. I am also finding out that I'm unable to hand hold (must be getting old) and get sharp images with any consistency which was my thinking for the purchase. Again, I need to spend more time with it but so far I'm a little disappointed. I'm taking a trip next week to walk the beach so I will put it thru my usual shooting routine and have lots to look at afterwards.

If you are in AF-C and partially pressing the focus button (whether your camera is set for the front shutter button to AF or the BBF to AF), you will hear the lens refocus. If you aren't holding down whichever button you use to AF and move the focus points around, you shouldn't hear anything. But yes, there is a slight sound as the AF refocuses the lens.