New lens for the beast

RapidRed

Adding (thinking) another lens to the kit.

Have 35mm
16-80

looking at, thoughts ?

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 12.07.35 AM.png

lucien

I would go for this lens. constant aperture, covers your range and about 1/2 the price. No I don't have it but I want one.

Tokina atx-i 11-20mm f/2.8 CF Lens for Nikon F

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Have 35mm
16-80

looking at, thoughts ?

View attachment 360560

That would be a no from me. I purchased one preowned which was in excellent condition, but it lacked sharpness and contrast. Plus my white balance was kind of warm - overly yellow. If I were purchasing a wide angle zoon for a DX Nikon body, I'd consider the DX Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens.

Our former moderator, Don Kuykendall who has now passed, wrote several posts praising this lens. And his images were terrific. For FX, the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 is a highly recommended lens, too. And guess what? The Tokina 11-16mm lens is much less expensive than the Nikon! One nice thing is it doesn't have a bulbous front element so it accepts front filters (which the Nikon also does). One problem with some fast wide angle lenses is the bulbous front element which can cause quite a bit of lens flair. The fact that this is an f/2.8 lens without the huge front glass is definitely a plus. :)

The lens lucien posted might also be decent. You'd need to compare reviews to see if one tends to get better reviews than the other.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1512055-REG/tokina_atx_i_af116cfn_atx_i_11_16mm_f_2_8_cf.html

tokina_atx_i_af116cfn_atx_i_11_16mm_f_2_8_cf_1625738153_1512055.jpg

Needa

Challenge Team

Have 35mm
16-80

looking at, thoughts ?

What is your intended subject? Are you frequently at 16 and wishing you could go wider? The reason I ask is my wide angle 10-20 is something I could easily do without and is infrequently used. Are the lens you have a 35mm and a 16-80mm?

RapidRed

What is your intended subject? Are you frequently at 16 and wishing you could go wider? The reason I ask is my wide angle 10-20 is something I could easily do without and is infrequently used. Are the lens you have a 35mm and a 16-80mm?

Yes the lenses owned are 35mm & 16-80mm. The lens being asked about is a just in case. Used more for close ups, car interiors, under the hood, model RR scenes, type of subjects .

I also have 18-58 but not fond of it, camera is D5200

Needa

Challenge Team
I'm sure you have a better idea what will work for you. Interested in hearing your decision and how it works out.

For close ups I have a 60mm micro lens when close focal distances are required. Extension tubes might also be an option.

Last edited: