Focus shift question

arshuter

[FONT=&quot]I tried my first few attempts at focus shifting yesterday with the 850. I was at an overlook checkin out the fall foliage and remember the 850 had this feature. I never used it but watched a few you tube vids on it. The view was, guessing, close to a mile across the valley. My f stop setting was 5.6 on the first try, it only took 1 image. Readjusted to f/7.1 second attempt only took 1 image. In the menu I am set at 100 images, 0 delay, focus step with was 7 and then 4. I tried several times at each and other settings with the same results.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Later at a different set-up I tried a closer shot of a fern growing out of a tree and got 32 images. What am I doing wrong on the landscape shots? I would really like to figure this out as most of my photography is landscape and what I call intimate landscape. Thanks, Alan[/FONT]

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I tried my first few attempts at focus shifting yesterday with the 850. I was at an overlook checkin out the fall foliage and remember the 850 had this feature. I never used it but watched a few you tube vids on it. The view was, guessing, close to a mile across the valley. My f stop setting was 5.6 on the first try, it only took 1 image. Readjusted to f/7.1 second attempt only took 1 image. In the menu I am set at 100 images, 0 delay, focus step with was 7 and then 4. I tried several times at each and other settings with the same results.
Later at a different set-up I tried a closer shot of a fern growing out of a tree and got 32 images. What am I doing wrong on the landscape shots? I would really like to figure this out as most of my photography is landscape and what I call intimate landscape. Thanks, Alan

Not seeing anything in this post @arshuter.

arshuter

Weird I can't get my question to show up. Let's try again.
I tried my first couple attempts a focus shifting yesterday. I was at an overlook trying for some fall foliage shots. I set the camera for 100 images, 0 second delay, on f/5.6 . Two tries gave me a single image on each attempt and 1 gave me 2 images. I also tried at f/7.1 with similar results. The view was approximately over a mile from the overlook to the top of the next ridge. After getting home and looking at them on the computer the single shots were on clear at the focus point and the 2 shots were clear at focus point and just past it.
Now later while hiking I tried focus shift on a fern growing from a dead tree and got 32 images. What am I doing wrong on the landscape attempts?