Diffusion dome or index card?

Needa

Challenge Team
The sensor is a tiny switch that protrudes from the flash head of the SB-800 (near the front edge, on the bottom). Placing the diffusion dome on the head compresses the switch. I made a tiny hole in the rim of the dome so that the switch stays out. I can rotate the dome 180˚ and the side without the hole will compress the switch as originally designed.
Interesting the defuser dome on my SB 800 installs only one way.

desmobob

Interesting the defuser dome on my SB 800 installs only one way.

You are absolutely correct... my mistake. I can lift that side of the diffuser slightly so the intact plastic between the tiny hole I made and the edge of the diffuser depresses the switch. From memory, I thought I flipped the diffuser around. That was what I initially thought would work, but did not.

With the diffuser pushed all the way on, the tiny hole I made allows the sensor switch to stay in the extended position:
IMG_0318.JPG

With the diffuser lifted very slightly on the side the switch is on, the sensor switch is depressed:
IMG_0322.JPG
I imagine if the hole was too large, a small, thin strip of plastic or card stock could be inserted under the diffuser to depress the switch...

Since I made the hole, I don't know if I've ever used it with the switch depressed as designed... I'm very happy with the way the altered set-up works for ceiling bounce, which is what I almost always use.

Last edited:

pnomanikon

Greetings! I haven't forgot about y'all, I've just been busy taking care of 3 older ladies (friends of ours).

I got the Rogue Flash Bender 2 (small) and had a chance to try it out a little bit today. It seems to throw a nice, even blanket of light so there are no "hot spots" in the photo. I just used the TTL setting on the flash and Auto on the camera. I think that will work well for candid "grandkid" photos around the house next week.

Thanks for your suggestions and input. Happy (and safe) holidays to all!

pnomanikon

UPDATE:

I used the Rogue Flash Bender 2 (small) photographing our grandson around the house and was very pleased. It seems like much more even lighting and natural colors than using the small built-in flip-up flash. I'm no pro, but I'm happy with it. Here is one my wife took:

imagejpeg_0.jpg