Dangerous Spouse Pics

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The image is great, DS. But I do have a question for you. Reading EXIF with both Chrome and Firefox (attached is Firefox screenshot), it lists your shutter speed at 2 seconds. Why so long?

DS.png

Peter7100

Like your mug shots (y) .

For viewing lots of images quickly I would say Instagram does a good job in that respect. I find it easier to find quality images on there, unlike flickr where anything and everything can appear as the daily Explore page.

Dangerspouse

The image is great, DS. But I do have a question for you. Reading EXIF with both Chrome and Firefox (attached is Firefox screenshot), it lists your shutter speed at 2 seconds. Why so long?

I think you can chalk a lot of this up to my still going through the learning process with this setup. I found, as is often the case with that macro lens at close distances, depth of field often is much shallower than the same f-stop shooting in other circumstances (landscapes, etc.). So that shot, as you see, was at f/16 and even then the back mug is *just* starting to blur.

I could have bumped up the power on the strobe and used a faster shutter speed, but this is why I didn't:

1. The camera was on a tripod, so I wasn't worried about slow shutter speeds.

and most importantly:

2. I'm lazy, lol. I had my camera tethered to Lightroom on my computer, and it was much easier to remain sitting and change the camera settings and fire the shutter right from the program. Changing the light output would have required me to stand up, walk to the c-stand on the other side of the room, reach up and manually turn the dial, walk back, sit down, and try again. And maybe have to repeat the process if it didn't come out. Changing the tethered settings took literally seconds, allowing me to make find an exposure setting that gave me a combo that I liked without having to move anything more than my mouse muscles ☺️

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you can chalk a lot of this up to my still going through the learning process with this setup. I found, as is often the case with that macro lens at close distances, depth of field often is much shallower than the same f-stop shooting in other circumstances (landscapes, etc.). So that shot, as you see, was at f/16 and even then the back mug is *just* starting to blur.

I could have bumped up the power on the strobe and used a faster shutter speed, but this is why I didn't:

1. The camera was on a tripod, so I wasn't worried about slow shutter speeds.

and most importantly:

2. I'm lazy, lol. I had my camera tethered to Lightroom on my computer, and it was much easier to remain sitting and change the camera settings and fire the shutter right from the program. Changing the light output would have required me to stand up, walk to the c-stand on the other side of the room, reach up and manually turn the dial, walk back, sit down, and try again. And maybe have to repeat the process if it didn't come out. Changing the tethered settings took literally seconds, allowing me to make find an exposure setting that gave me a combo that I liked without having to move anything more than my mouse muscles

Ah ... I understand. :)

Like your mug shots (y) .

For viewing lots of images quickly I would say Instagram does a good job in that respect. I find it easier to find quality images on there, unlike flickr where anything and everything can appear as the daily Explore page.

Gives new meaning to mug shot, doesn't it? 😁

Dangerspouse

Went out with the wifey to the Orange County (NY) Arboretum last night to see the holiday light display. It's a bit of an annual tradition of ours. An annual tradition of theirs is to add one new piece every year, and it's gotten to the point now where they've had to open a new parking lot farther away since the new displays are encroaching on the old lot.

One sad change this year was that a fire last month burned down the hall, which had a large window-walled seating area so you could view the grounds in the warmth of the room if it was blustery out. They also served free hot cocoa to all visitors, and it was just so cozy and nice. To their credit - and the credit of the patrons and local community - they still erected the entire display and ran power to it, even though the main building remained a roped off charred pile in the center of it all.

On a photography note, the last several years I've taken either my original D3300 or later my D5500. I've posted some of the shots here, also. They were ok. But this year I took my D500 and MAN! what a difference. The low light focusing ability of that thing is soooo gooood. And certainly much less noise at the same ISO levels I was using previously. I guess it's to be expected, but it's one thing to know it theoretically. It's another to actually experience it. Especially the focus speed and accuracy. I was blown away.

Raccoon 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Beehive and Trees (1 of 1).jpg

Deer Family 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Hummingbird and Flower thru Redr (1 of 1).jpg

Peacock and Flower (1 of 1).jpg

Owl and Fairy (1 of 1).jpg

Skunk (1 of 1).jpg

Tree 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Dwarf and Pixie (1 of 1).jpg

Attachments

• Light Post Foreground (1 of 1).jpg
    Light Post Foreground (1 of 1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Went out with the wifey to the Orange County (NY) Arboretum last night to see the holiday light display. It's a bit of an annual tradition of ours. An annual tradition of theirs is to add one new piece every year, and it's gotten to the point now where they've had to open a new parking lot farther away since the new displays are encroaching on the old lot.

One sad change this year was that a fire last month burned down the hall, which had a large window-walled seating area so you could view the grounds in the warmth of the room if it was blustery out. They also served free hot cocoa to all visitors, and it was just so cozy and nice. To their credit - and the credit of the patrons and local community - they still erected the entire display and ran power to it, even though the main building remained a roped off charred pile in the center of it all.

On a photography note, the last several years I've taken either my original D3300 or later my D5500. I've posted some of the shots here, also. They were ok. But this year I took my D500 and MAN! what a difference. The low light focusing ability of that thing is soooo gooood. And certainly much less noise at the same ISO levels I was using previously. I guess it's to be expected, but it's one thing to know it theoretically. It's another to actually experience it. Especially the focus speed and accuracy. I was blown away.

View attachment 385588

View attachment 385589

View attachment 385590

View attachment 385591

View attachment 385592

View attachment 385593

View attachment 385594

View attachment 385596

View attachment 385597
Looks like you have some candidates for the monthly assignment Tom!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
In my own thread I mentioned about seeing a camera icon after I edited my post. I see the camera icon on these images, too. When I click on it, it opens up the EXIF viewer (I'm on Chrome so it's that EXIF viewer).

Hmm ... I'm trying to understand why this screenshot won't fit full screen. While looking at the image in my reply box, I noticed the option to drag the corner to enlarge it (although I didn't do it here).
EXIF viewer icon.png

Needa

Challenge Team
In my own thread I mentioned about seeing a camera icon after I edited my post. I see the camera icon on these images, too. When I click on it, it opens up the EXIF viewer (I'm on Chrome so it's that EXIF viewer).

Hmm ... I'm trying to understand why this screenshot won't fit full screen. While looking at the image in my reply box, I noticed the option to drag the corner to enlarge it (although I didn't do it here).
View attachment 385657
A setting in your Exif viewer?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The "camera icon" you mention is a Google search function that displays/searches the internet for similar images...
I don't think so. When I click on the camera icon, it opens up the Chrome EXIF viewer. I just installed the other one you mentioned. Rather than to derail DS's thread any further, I will post comments under the new thread you started.

Dangerspouse

My better half goes nuts if I use this term :ROFLMAO:
Haha! My wife wears it like a badge of honor. In my (long neglected) blog she was only ever referred to as "NewWifey(tm)" (I trademarked her, lol). She's the only wife I ever had, but it's a long story explaining that moniker so I'll have mercy on you and not relate it. Anyway, she loves it to the point that if I call her by her actual name she gets startled and asks why I'm mad at her 🦹‍♀️

Dangerspouse

The very first pics with my new Christmas lenses.

First up, the long boy (Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6). Not 10 minutes after arriving home with it I heard sirens down the street announcing the Fire Department's annual Santa Tour of the neighborhood. They go around slowly, lights and sirens on, stopping at all the houses with kids. The tikes get to climb on board and meet the Big Guy himself, and come away with a small gift. Everyone loves it.

And I love my new lens! These guys were probably 200 yards away in the parked shots, and it looks like I was standing right next to them. The waving Santa was just across from me, so I had to back the lens to 200mm.

(The moon pic was a couple of nights later, when the clouds finally cleared. I can't believe the VR in this thing - that was hand held, 500mm at 1/60th. That shouldn't be possible, lol! The Fire Department pics were also hand held shots.)

Hook and Ladder 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Fighters and Truck 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Kids entering truck 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Santa Waves 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Crescent Moon-2 Dec 2022 (1 of 1).jpg

Dangerspouse

These were my first shots with the 16-80mm. Gave the low light performance a bit of a workout, lol. It was tough to tear myself away from that insane 200-500mm howitzer, but I eventually did. I'm sure I'll be using this one for general walking around photography for a long time. Can't wait to see the results when I have better light.

Corner Tree 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Corner Tree 2.jpg

Corner Tree 3 (1 of 1).jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Kudos on your lenses, DS! I wish I had the strength to hold the 200-500mm by hand, but my images came out blurred when I rented one (used VR and a fast shutter speed, too). I never tried the 16-80mm but have heard great things about it.

So do you have a moon image taken at 1/60"? This one lists 1/125" which is still immensely impressive! Happy New Year. :)

Dangerspouse

Kudos on your lenses, DS! I wish I had the strength to hold the 200-500mm by hand, but my images came out blurred when I rented one (used VR and a fast shutter speed, too). I never tried the 16-80mm but have heard great things about it.

So do you have a moon image taken at 1/60"? This one lists 1/125" which is still immensely impressive! Happy New Year. :)
Thanks Cindy! Yeah, that monster will sure give you a workout if you don't have manly-man arms ;)

Oh! Sorry - I did take some at 1/60th, but I guess I posted the wrong one from my folder. I went up and down the shutter speed dial that night to see how long it took before I couldn't get a sharp shot. I think 1/15th was the breaking point, but I'd have to go back and check to be sure.

Thanks again!! :)

Dangerspouse

I realized I had an even longer hand held shutter speed shot now. I went out into my yard yesterday because it was raining, and I wanted to try the cheap lens rain cover my wife gave as a stocking stuffer. It was...cheap. But it worked ok, some frustrating handling qualities notwithstanding.

Anyway, this shot of my neighbor's dog in the rain was taken hand held at 360mm and 1/13th second. It's OOC, no post sharpening or de-noise. Not portfolio worthy of course, but still world's better than I would have expected for that kind of EXIF data!

Jackson thru fence 1-13th sec (1 of 1).jpg

Dangerspouse

Ok, went back and found one of the 1/60th sec moon shots. Seen in larger pics, I can spot now that it's a bit fuzzier than 1/125th. But not by a helluva lot. Certainly better than I would have ever guessed before owning this lens!

Moon Shot 1-60th sec (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited: