D7100 sensor dust

Samo

I had my camera sensor cleaned at the camera shop awhile back and I asked the technician about the issue of dust in camera bodies. He popped off my lens and said see that shelf? He was pointing to a small rounded shelf below the mirror box. He explained that the shelf tended to collect dust there and then it gets on the sensor. His advice was to keep that shelf clean and clear and it would cut down on my dust bunnies. When I turned my camera over to him that shelf was indeed dusty almost dirty in fact. Just ensuring that shelf stays clean seems to work well and I have been able to keep my sensor cleaner by doing so. I also practice trying to always have the camera pointed down when changing lenses and put my lens caps in my back pocket rather than front pocket.

Last edited:

Peter7100

Firstly, I am aware this is a very old thread.
However I searched the subject of 'D7100 dust' and arrived here.
The reason I searched is the following. I have owned a total of 6 dslr's over the last couple of decades and always check and clean the sensors myself and I understand how all cameras are prone to dust in the sensor area. I have now cleaned the sensor on my D7100 almost as often as all my other camera's over the last two decades. I have always been careful to avoid changing lenses in dusty enviroments, changing lenses quickly, keeping caps on etc etc.
I have no idea why, but I can say for certain this has more noticeable dust than any other camera I have ever owned. Maybe it is something to do with the pixel density making it more noticeable, design or something else. One thing I can say for certainty is that my lenses changing habbits have not changed and the dust bunnies are more noticeable more often.
Having said I still love the camera.