d700 vs d800

Gladiator

As i always said i'll keep my D700 which makes all the quality photos i need and put my money in faster or more specialized lenses.

When my D700 falls in pieces then we'll see :) Oh and from what i saw, the D800 comes out in spring 2011, will have 2 memory card slots too.

Sites are reporting that the D800 will have many features and higher resolution (24mp) than the D3x. Will you replace your D700 with the D800 when it is released?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
New rumors are saying the D800 is coming spring 2011 and will have a 24mp image sensor, and full HD video w/ AF system.

Sambr

I will not be buying the D800 or whatever name it takes. I am very happy with the D700. It is a great camera and does everything I want it to do and then some. Yes the D800 will have more MPs - and better DR, however in my case more MPs aren't important to me the DR is always good, however I can live with the D700's the way it is.

Malsam

I agree...I'm actually looking for a body to start in the Nikon system. A recent showroom trip to Nikon bring about this discussions about D800 and D4 as well. I will be needing a body in this October, chances is that August - Sept we should be hearing something...if by then I don't get to hear anything, I probably get the D700 :p

Eye-level

Banned
Wonder what the economics of the D700 vs D800 situation will look like??? :)

Ole McCurry shoots with a D3 (maybe D3x?) in some of his Youtube stuff I've seen recently...I'll bet you money he still has a FM2 and a 105/2.5...he probably even knows where to get kodachrome developed still... lol hahhaha ;)

zipadi

Nope, Have only had my D700 for a few month now & I'm still exploring it.
It still brings a smile to my face every time I pick it up.

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
a side by side pic:
d800compare1.jpg

from http://fstoppers.com/pic-side-by-side-comparison-of-the-nikon-d700-and-new-d800

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm not worried much about the looks. I am more concerned with the performance, ease in using the controls, and better IQ which includes cleaner images at higher ISO levels. I think the images are authentic. FX typically have round OVF and DX have a rectangular shaped. I also did a comparison with my camera, and the NR image looks pretty real if it has a video feature. We've waited a very long time (and still waiting) for the D700 replacement. Let's wait and give Nikon a chance to impress us.

enjoysshooting

I personally shoot the D700 and I have strongly considered upgrading to the D800, but yet to make the move. One thing I have learned is that the new and improved camera body is always coming out and you can get sucked into the hype each time if you let yourself, so I try not to. As far as D800 vs. Canon 5D Mark III - I would recommend the D800 if you like to blow up your pictures really large and the Mark III if you are out to shoot more landscapes and nature pics. All in all these cameras are both awesome and you really can't go wrong with either.

I have also written reviews for both if you would like to read them.

Click here to read my review of the Nikon D800

Click here to read my review of the Canon 5D Mark III