Beyond flash?

Fred Kingston

That's a great shot, but... not one I'd select for testing a flash with... You'd need a 1,000,000 Mw flash to light those trees and the end of that fence... :) Pick a subject that's about 10' away to practice with...

Borga Voffe

My intentions was to light up them harebells to the right.
Kind of succeeded in that…..

That fence wasnt the big thing,
the sun was low into the treetop to the right
Sun gave some late evening light to the trees to the left,
some on the fence
but nothing on the harebells

Thus, as the harebells was almost in the dark
I tried to shed some light on the with the godox setup….

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When shooting outdoors and the sun is still shining light, a flash unit isn't strong enough to project that far into the distance. The sunlight outdoors is too bright for the flash to compete with it. I don't know if you are familiar with the Inverse Square Law, but Peter Hurley does a decent job of explaining it. Basically at one foot from the flash, the light output is 100%. When you double the distance (in this case, that would be 2-feet), you quarter the power - or in other words, the light output is now 25% of what it was at 1-foot. Double the distance again (which would take us to 4-feet), and it is now 25% less than it was at 2-feet.

Godox makes the AD600 Pro which is a portable strobe. Even with its light output which is far more powerful than your flash, it doesn't always put out enough light during bright daytime hours unless certain things are done or used (such as using a scrim, an ND filter, HSS, or additional strobes).

Borga Voffe

Second try

051016EA-90AC-43B7-A7DC-384110B4344B.jpg

A yarrow in the shadows….

Held the flash in my left hand
Camera at 40 cm away
at 50 mm
Not tacky sharp its evening and I was shivering
been out walking for 8 hrs