+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75
  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Bill16's Avatar

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens
    This is an awesome lens! They just came out with a faster version, and D lenses tend to be reasonable used thank goodness! Here is today's test shots! But if you want to see what this lens can do then checkout the wildlife shots that Scott did! Earlier in this thread Scott stated he used this same lens for most of his wildlife shots!








    › See More: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens
    Thanks/Like Elliot87, mikew, Blacktop Thanks/liked this post
     
    ------------------------Tripods-------------------------------
    GITZO GT2541EX 6X carbon fiber tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 DP ball head
    GITZO G2220 aluminium tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 SP ball head
    ------------------------Backpacks----------------------------
    Tamrac Expedition 8X, Tamrac Expedition 8,Tamrac Expedition 5



  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Elliot87's Avatar

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    Yep I was looking at the non AF-S lens on MPB. I'm assuming the one you've got Bill won't auto focus on the D3*** & D5*** cameras? Oh well, looks like anything longer than my 70-300 will have to wait a fair while yet....
    D7100, D3200, F80
    Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 VR, Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-s micro
    Tamron 70-300mm VC USD, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G EDII
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/eleaphotography/


  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Bill16's Avatar

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    Sorry, but your right that the one I have won't auto focus on the D3xxx nor the D5xxx nikon models. You need a nikon with a built in AF motor to AF with the Nikkor D lenses.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot87 View Post
    Yep I was looking at the non AF-S lens on MPB. I'm assuming the one you've got Bill won't auto focus on the D3*** & D5*** cameras? Oh well, looks like anything longer than my 70-300 will have to wait a fair while yet....
    Thanks/Like Elliot87 Thanks/liked this post
     
    ------------------------Tripods-------------------------------
    GITZO GT2541EX 6X carbon fiber tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 DP ball head
    GITZO G2220 aluminium tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 SP ball head
    ------------------------Backpacks----------------------------
    Tamrac Expedition 8X, Tamrac Expedition 8,Tamrac Expedition 5

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Elliot87's Avatar

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    In a way, although I love my D3200 and its a great beginners camera that's more capable than I am, I wished I'd saved and spent a bit more on a D7100. I'm not interested in having the latest version of everything, what I really want is good quality glass that's affordable. Being tied down to the latest AF-S lenses and the added price means the D3200 seems like a bit of a false economy. I'm sure the D7100 with the older 80-400 would exceed or at least match what a D3200 with the newer version is capable of and for less money. Oh well, hind sight is a wonderful thing....
    Thanks/Like Bill16 Thanks/liked this post
     
    D7100, D3200, F80
    Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 VR, Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-s micro
    Tamron 70-300mm VC USD, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G EDII
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/eleaphotography/


  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Bill16's Avatar

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    I tend to agree with you. I had both a D3100 and a D5100 and wasn't really satisfied for the reason you just mentioned and I wanted a more pro type body without the menu driven settings.
    Nikkor D lenses seem to be cheaper than the AF-S lenses and are still very good quality. Frankly I like them better personally.
    So in my opinion I think your right, and though you save on the body getting some pretty good tech, you seem to lose on the lens costs if you want AF instead of manual focus.

    I'm pretty sure you could use the model lens I have, but you'd have to focus manually until you upgraded your Nikon to a model that has the AF motor built in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot87 View Post
    In a way, although I love my D3200 and its a great beginners camera that's more capable than I am, I wished I'd saved and spent a bit more on a D7100. I'm not interested in having the latest version of everything, what I really want is good quality glass that's affordable. Being tied down to the latest AF-S lenses and the added price means the D3200 seems like a bit of a false economy. I'm sure the D7100 with the older 80-400 would exceed or at least match what a D3200 with the newer version is capable of and for less money. Oh well, hind sight is a wonderful thing....
    ------------------------Tripods-------------------------------
    GITZO GT2541EX 6X carbon fiber tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 DP ball head
    GITZO G2220 aluminium tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 SP ball head
    ------------------------Backpacks----------------------------
    Tamrac Expedition 8X, Tamrac Expedition 8,Tamrac Expedition 5

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Elliot87's Avatar

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill16 View Post
    I tend to agree with you. I had both a D3100 and a D5100 and wasn't really satisfied for the reason you just mentioned and I wanted a more pro type body without the menu driven settings.
    Nikkor D lenses seem to be cheaper than the AF-S lenses and are still very good quality. Frankly I like them better personally.
    So in my opinion I think your right, and though you save on the body getting some pretty good tech, you seem to lose on the lens costs if you want AF instead of manual focus.

    I'm pretty sure you could use the model lens I have, but you'd have to focus manually until you upgraded your Nikon to a model that has the AF motor built in.
    Manual focusing is an option I suppose but it's not something I've tried yet and I'd be worried it would just lead to frustration. I'm getting to grips with exposure and composition but adding in something else to think about might cause me problems. I intend to stick with DX bodies as I like the extra reach they offer for wildlife. I'm sure when I do upgrade, my D3200 will be greatly appreciated by my wife and I'll be a much better photographer thanks to being challenged more.

    Anyway, apologies for high jacking your thread and congrats on the lens!
    Thanks/Like Bill16 Thanks/liked this post
     
    D7100, D3200, F80
    Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 VR, Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-s micro
    Tamron 70-300mm VC USD, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G EDII
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/eleaphotography/


  7. #47
    Senior Member

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot87 View Post
    Think I might be able to answer my own question, looks like I was looking at the older version on MPB and the newer one on Amazon.
    the three pictures I took were with the older one,, I picked mine up for 650 dollars which I consider a total bargain, save the extra money for some other
    lens like say a nice macro, or wide angle.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Bill16's Avatar

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    Hey no problem, I appreciate the interest! And thank you, I'm thrilled with my new lens!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot87 View Post
    Manual focusing is an option I suppose but it's not something I've tried yet and I'd be worried it would just lead to frustration. I'm getting to grips with exposure and composition but adding in something else to think about might cause me problems. I intend to stick with DX bodies as I like the extra reach they offer for wildlife. I'm sure when I do upgrade, my D3200 will be greatly appreciated by my wife and I'll be a much better photographer thanks to being challenged more.

    Anyway, apologies for high jacking your thread and congrats on the lens!
    ------------------------Tripods-------------------------------
    GITZO GT2541EX 6X carbon fiber tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 DP ball head
    GITZO G2220 aluminium tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 SP ball head
    ------------------------Backpacks----------------------------
    Tamrac Expedition 8X, Tamrac Expedition 8,Tamrac Expedition 5

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Bill16's Avatar

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens
    OK, since it was raining today I decided to shoot a few indoor shots just for the fun of it! They are all hand held too for practice!lol







    Thanks/Like Blacktop, M.J., mikew Thanks/liked this post
     
    ------------------------Tripods-------------------------------
    GITZO GT2541EX 6X carbon fiber tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 DP ball head
    GITZO G2220 aluminium tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 SP ball head
    ------------------------Backpacks----------------------------
    Tamrac Expedition 8X, Tamrac Expedition 8,Tamrac Expedition 5

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Bill16's Avatar

    Re: Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

    Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens
    I really really over did the sharpness on the tripod, so I did a quick re-do! lol

    After seeing it in this post, maybe it's the texture of the tripod that makes it seem over sharp. Oh well it was just for fun anyway!lol

    Last edited by Bill16; 08-10-2014 at 01:44 AM.
    Thanks/Like M.J. Thanks/liked this post
     
    ------------------------Tripods-------------------------------
    GITZO GT2541EX 6X carbon fiber tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 DP ball head
    GITZO G2220 aluminium tripod and ARCA SWISS Z1 SP ball head
    ------------------------Backpacks----------------------------
    Tamrac Expedition 8X, Tamrac Expedition 8,Tamrac Expedition 5





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •