Piperbarb's 2013 Project 365

piperbarb

Okay, so here are some photos I took today. Since I live in upstate New York, I thought it appropriate to get some snow photos, especially since we got about 13 inches of snow in just a couple of days.

I am a B&W person at heart. :)
Grass in Snow-130101-02BW_01.JPG

It always amazes me how changing from color to black and white can make something look so seedy and dreary. This photo was taken right outside my house. The icicles are a result of the melting icicles dripping off the roof gutters.

The Once and Future Icicles-130101-02_01.JPG The Once and Future Icicles-130101-02BW_01.JPG

We have had a lot of very busy woodpeckers last year and I have been fascinated by the holes they make. The holes were made by a pilliated woodpecker.
Woodpecker Holes-130101_01.JPG

piperbarb

Wednesday, 1-2-13:Here are my entries for today.Alex loves having her picture taken. She starts to pose and ham things up when she sees the camera.

Attachments

• Alex-130102-102_01.JPG
    Alex-130102-102_01.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 265
  • Alex-130102-104_01.JPG
    Alex-130102-104_01.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 297
Last edited:

Moab Man

Sadly our Labrador is more camera shy than a... there is not comparison that can be made. She sees the camera and becomes a contortionist with her neck to avoid the camera.

piperbarb

I also have a yellow lab. She doesn't seem to care either way about photos. It's all attention, as far as she's concerned but the camera is not food, so she loses interest quickly. :)

Katie1987

Sadly our Labrador is more camera shy than a... there is not comparison that can be made. She sees the camera and becomes a contortionist with her neck to avoid the camera.

Same thing with ours! After he hears a few clicks from my camera as I take pictures of him, he starts to move around and aims to distract me! A lot of times its because i'm on the floor trying to get different angles of him and he equates this with play time.

piperbarb

Here is today's photo, not as photogenic as yesterday, but the long, hanging succulent has been around for over 3 decades. My mother started it from seed back in the 1980s. It has survived multiple moves, maulings by cats, and some pretty bad watering neglect by me.

003 Plant Crawler-130103-01.jpg
Plant Crawler

piperbarb

Okay, here are the photos for today, January 4th....

Jenny was watching my spousal unit eat his dinner. She considers him an eternal food source figures that she an stare the food away from him.

Jenny
004 Jenny-130104_01.jpg

Spooky will sit next to me and paw the air as a way to get my attention. All he wants is a pat on the head.

No! Not Another Photo! Please!
004 Spooky-130104-02_01.jpg

piperbarb

Okay, here are my photos for today, January 5th.

These icicles were taken from inside the house (the same window as the crazy, crawling succulent from yesterday). I have been looking at these icicles for almost a week now...

Cold as Ice:
005 Cold As Ice-130105-02_01.jpg

Since the dreary clouds actually dissipated slightly today, I saw this patch of blue sky and could not resist. I took this photo in color then tweaked it in B&W. You decide. :)

Undressed (color):
005 Undressed-130105_01.jpg

Undressed B&W (my favorite):
005 Undressed-130105BW_01.jpg

Finally, I took a walk down the road. This is a little stream down a gully that I always look at year-round.

Winter Woods:
005 Winter Woods-130105-03_01.jpg

All were taken using the 55-200 DX lens, not a lens that I use very often. I'm more of a single focal length user, so using zoom lenses takes me out of my comfort zone. :)

piperbarb

1-6-13. Here are today's photos:

This one I took this morning. The sun was coming in through the bay window. I like how the shadow of the "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" (sent to us by my spousal unit's cousin) showed on the wall. Done with available light.

Sunshine and Shadow:
006 Sunshine and the Shadow-130106_01.jpg

I also knit a lot and try to take a photo before and after each knitting project. This was just a photo of the yarn I was using to knit a watch cap. Not very exciting unless you are a knitter. :) Tomorrow... the watch cap. :)
006 Yarn for Watchap-130106_01.JPG

Katie1987

I like the black and white photo from yesterday - really nice contrast!

Gotta love the Charlie Brown Christmas trees. That was a white elephant gift this year within my work team. I was not the lucky one to take it home though.. :)

piperbarb

I like the black and white photo from yesterday - really nice contrast!

Gotta love the Charlie Brown Christmas trees. That was a white elephant gift this year within my work team. I was not the lucky one to take it home though.. :)

Thanks. I'm partial to B&W myself. That was what I started with back in my film days.

My husband's cousin gave them to everyone she could this year. Those trees are a hoot.

piperbarb

1-7-13: Today's photos:
First, the watch cap is finished. Made for the son of a friend of mine. He has been very helpful when my husband had some major health issues last year. Not exciting, but it is a photo taken today. :)
007 Watch Cap -130107_01.JPG

Now for the fun photo. Alex, my photo ham cat is also a thief. She steals all sorts of things. This evening, she suddenly discovered the sea shell that has been sitting on the lamp table for 2 years. She can be a little slow at times. :) I felt like she was saying, "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

Alex the Thief:

007 Alex The Thief-130107-02_01.jpg

I did end up taking a 5-photo series of the klepto-cat and made it into a 21 second movie (as .mov) but was not sure if I could upload it or if it would be allowed to be uploaded.

piperbarb

1-8-13. Okay, here is today's entry. Not a great shot, in fact, far from it. It was about dusk when I had just come home from work. I saw the deer on our front lawn, ran and got my camera. I stood on the porch, and the deer was about 220 feet from where I was standing. It was actually interesting. The deer watched for traffic and finally crossed the road after any cars had passed.

I used my AF f/2.8 105 Micro Nikkor, hand held because I did not have enough time to set up the tripod.
Settings:
Hand held
ISO 400
f/4.5
1/6 sec
manual focus.
008 Deer in Yard-130108-01_01.jpg