Decided on SB-700

RockyNH_RIP

Based on many conversations here and suggestions of many of the users I respect, I have decided that my main flash will be the SB-700. It has a lot of on camera options and I think it will be a great tool for better photo's and also for learning more about flash. (I have the D5100)

Being that I am not in a rush, I am going to watching for a deal on a used or refurb unit....

Down the road, I would like to look into off camera stuff and will likely do 2 things...
1. Use remote trigger with the 700 as a single off camera.
2. When I am ready for multi strobes, likely get a pair of lesser expensive 3rd party.

Special thanks to Rick (Axeman) for taking extra time in private messages to share his experiences regarding off camera units, triggers etc.

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

I've only heard great things about the SB700, on my list too, someday :)

Thanks Rick... My someday has arrived earlier as I have some stuff I want to do and the flip flash just does not cut it for those things.. I can wait till I find a deal though so that is on my side...

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Ted and Rodbender, thanks for the comments.. I had thought of saving with a supposed TTL 3rd party flash but eventually after talking to many (and reviews) deciding it was not really worth me skimping on that.

Pat in NH

WayneF

Being that I am not in a rush, I am going to watching for a deal on a used or refurb unit....

Down the road, I would like to look into off camera stuff and will likely do 2 things...
1. Use remote trigger with the 700 as a single off camera.
2. When I am ready for multi strobes, likely get a pair of lesser expensive 3rd party.

See Nikon Store - Refurbished Flashes

Refurbished SB-700 currently in stock, but they never last long there.

The SB-700 has the internal optical slave trigger (called SU-4 mode), so as a manual remote unit, it will flash in sync from the flash of any other manual flash. All you have to do is to trigger the first one.

RockyNH_RIP

See Nikon Store - Refurbished Flashes

Refurbished SB-700 currently in stock, but they never last long there.

The SB-700 has the internal optical slave trigger (called SU-4 mode), so as a manual remote unit, it will flash in sync from the flash of any other manual flash. All you have to do is to trigger the first one.

Thank You Wayne... I have already picked up a refurb from Adorama so I am all set but I appreciate you sending that note up!

Pat in NH

lovejoy

I hope you are right RockyNH, I just committed to SB700 it arrives this Monday weather permitting, it's like Antarctica here.

Kevin H

Ted and Rodbender, thanks for the comments.. I had thought of saving with a supposed TTL 3rd party flash but eventually after talking to many (and reviews) deciding it was not really worth me skimping on that.

Pat in NH
Just put it on remote on the back of the flash and your built in flash will trigger it