Upgrading from a D7000... Any other issues on the D600?

Helitech

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the d600, but need to find one at the prices comparable to the Black Friday/ Christmas prices or someone that'll take a partial trade for a mint D7000 plus cash... I know it's a long shot but I really want to make the switch to full frame, just don't make enough money to go and buy it (military doesn't get paid much these days)...

Anyways, I've googled it but couldn't find anything other than the dust issues some have been running into...Any thing else bugging owners out there??

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
No problem for me. I've shot around 3900 shots so far with it and absolutely no problem. I've cleaned the sensor once and it's now fine. It did get dusty after maybe 1800 shots, but I was in a very sloppy environment and was changing lenses quite frequently.

It's a great camera and for me, has just the right features.

BackdoorArts

Same experience here, though I haven't hit 1000 shots with my D600 yet. I am more than a little impressed by just how good the D600 is. Dust issue is a bit of a drag, but worth the trouble if it happens to you.

Helitech

Thanks for the input, have any of you personally upgraded to the D600 from the D7000? A side by side comparison has them pretty close (aside from the sensor and 24MP of course), and I was wondering if the upgrade was more than just a little difference in your captures... Thanks again for the input! And happy new year!

BackdoorArts

I shot with the D7000 for almost 2 years before getting the D600 in early December. The difference for me is night and day. Not only is the image quality a good step above that of the D7000, but until you shoot FX you don't realize just how much of the world you miss through a cropped sensor. When I saw the little aside in the EXIF data that told me what my focal length was in 35mm terms I just ignored it. But when I put a 24mm on the D600 and realized that it had really been functioning as a 36mm on my D7000 the light bulb finally went on.

And again, I cannot overemphasize the difference in image quality. The D7000 is nice. But the D600 is amazing.

Helitech

Sweet.... Now all I have left to figure out is the timing on when I should piss off my wife! Hahaha thanks again for the input!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the input, have any of you personally upgraded to the D600 from the D7000? A side by side comparison has them pretty close (aside from the sensor and 24MP of course), and I was wondering if the upgrade was more than just a little difference in your captures... Thanks again for the input! And happy new year!

Well I have both and the quality difference is there. How much, well, it all depends on the lenses you use them with. The D600 with an OK lens would produce a bigger file than the 7000 with the same lens, but, use a better lens on the d7000 than the 600 and the difference is then not that much anymore.

But with high iso in low light, the D600 is hard to beat (except maybe by the D700).

Take your time unless money is burning your pockets.