D7000 Autofocus Live View

davidames014

Hi fellas. Im having some troubles with autofocus using the liveview mode. Ehile im using the viewfinder All autofocus modes work perfectly. But in the liveview mode it doesent work at all! Loos like the cam tries to find the focus point but then freezes without fousing any object!!!

Please let me know if im doing something grown or ifs ther is something wrong with the camera. Im still on warrtanty period.

Thank you very much!!!

David Ames.

Fred Kingston

There's nothing wrong with your camera Dave... There are basically 2 different focus systems in the D7000... the below stuff, hopefully explains what is going on with your camera...

Contrast-detect vs. Phase-detect Autofocus

By way of explanation, the phase-detect/contrast-detect distinction is one of the fundamental differences that separates digicams from digital SLRs, and is the core reason that SLRs focus more quickly. Contrast-detection autofocus involves looking at the image from a camera's main image sensor and evaluating it to see how abruptly brightness values change from one pixel to the next. If an image is soft and fuzzy, brightness changes between adjacent pixels will be relatively slight, but if it's sharply focused, they'll be much greater. The point of ideal focus is found by moving the lens elements back and forth, and determining whether the contrast signal gets stronger or weaker. Achieving focus this way necessarily involves some back-and-forth hunting, which can take a while to accomplish. By contrast (no pun intended), phase-detect AF uses a system of prisms, lenses, and a secondary sensor to determine not only whether the image is in focus or not, but by how much it's out of focus and in which direction. The camera can then adjust the focus setting to exactly the position needed, either in a single step, or perhaps with a quick secondary check once the initial focus adjustment has been made. As a result, phase-detect AF systems are generally much faster than contrast-detect ones.
The catch with phase-detect AF, though, is that it requires some of the light passing through the lens to be diverted to the focus sensor. This is fine in an SLR, when the mirror is down between exposures, as typically part of the mirror can be made to be partially transmissive, with the light passing through it deflected by a secondary mirror down to the AF sensor, usually located in the bottom of the mirror box. When the mirror is raised in Live View mode, though, light from the lens can't get to the separate AF sensor. This accounts for the rather lengthy (and noisy) phase detection AF cycles in most Live View-capable SLRs: To focus the camera the mirror has to be dropped, focus determined, and the mirror raised again, adding several tenths of a second to the normal non-Live View shutter lag.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D7000/D7000LIVEVIEW.HTM here's the entire article...

Last edited:

davidames014

Dear Fred. Thanks for your answer. Your quote was very explanatory. I still don't know what to conclude. Is AF no viable with live view? Dont think so! I was thinking it might be some trouble with my camera because autofocus in liveview makes a strange noise: at first it sounds as it was focusing normally but then it makes a few steps backward like "tic tic tic tic", and freezes there without focusing correctly. My problem is not about lag as i understood from your comment, its about not focusing at all!

Thanks for your time, sorry if i don't get you quickly enough.

Fred Kingston

Mine seems to be more sensitive to low light conditions in LiveView mode... mine also makes slight noises as the lens elements attempt to seek a focus and cannot... and simply gives up without achieving a focus... The article indicates... if the sensor can't see in the up-mirror position, it looses its brains...

There certainly is a lot of room for interpretation over the internet as to what is actually happening... If you're uncomfortable... maybe you can find a local Nikon dealer, and get an opinion from them, assuming you can replicate the issue in his shop... I don't do movies with my D7000, nor do I use LiveView a great deal... although I have experienced the same basic functionality you describe... Hell!! Maybe my camera's broke too, and I just don't know it... :)

davidames014

I could locate my issue on the lens. I borrowed a sigma 70-300 from a friend, and found out every focus mode worked perfectly. Im contanting my dealer for replace. Did you try any other lenses than 18-105 Nikkor?

Fred Kingston

I don't remember which lens I tested with... Now I'll have too test again... and work my way through about a dozen lenses... :eek:ffended: