Michelle : Commercial and Glamour Head Shot

Robert Mitchell

Michelle was so much fun to shoot. She's a beautiful girl with a great career ahead of her.

Camera & Lens:
Nikon D700 & Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII

Settings:
ISO200, 155mm, f/9, 1/125s

Lighting:
Subject- Hurley setup
Background- Nikon SB-900

[Comercial Head Shot]
p1357953320-5.jpg

[Glamour Head Shot]
p1357954932-5.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Michelle was so much fun to shoot. She's a beautiful girl with a great career ahead of her.

Camera & Lens:
Nikon D700 & Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII

Settings:
ISO200, 155mm, f/9, 1/125s

Lighting:
Subject- Hurley setup
Background- Nikon SB-900

[Comercial Head Shot]
p1357953320-5.jpg

[Glamour Head Shot]
p1357954932-5.jpg

Great shots Roberts, super post processing and retouching!

Geoffc

Nice images, but the catch lights in the eyes seem slightly unusual. Is this deliberate as it looks like a square of light when I view it?

Robert Mitchell

Hi Geoff,

I'm assuming you haven't seen my other head shot posts. I've described the setup, the catch lights and the reason they are what they are. Please keep in mind that these are not supposed to be pretty portraits (well, the glamour shot is, but that was an afterthought using the same lighting) or shots for grandma to have on her wall. They're commercial head shots.

Not everyone is going to like the catch lights. I readily accept that and that's cool. I'm copying Peter Hurley's setup and philosophy on creating commercial head shots for actors and models. Agents, agencies and casting directors actually love this style of head shot and it's only photographers that notice or have comments about the catch lights.

The clients love them, the girls and women think they're amazing, casting directors identify them and like the distinct difference and also understand enough to know that the lighting setup creates a virtually shadowless facial mask, which is what they need to see.

I do use other setups and with men, I typically use more standard portrait lighting, allowing more contrast and shadow but even then, very sparingly.

The best way for these people to get work is to present a great head shot that shows their face with no shadow. When I see that casting directors no longer love this style of lighting, that's when I'll think about changing. For now, I'm running with what I know works in the industry. :)

Geoffc

Robert

Thanks for the reply, this is not an area I know much about. Are those catch lights a result of the lighting setup or some post processing?

Could you point me to the Peter Hurley setup you refer to as I'm planning to do a studio session in a few weeks.

Robert Mitchell

Hi Geoff,

Catch lights are the reflection of any light source that can be seen or picked up but the curved, reflective part of the eye. For eery light source there is a catch light. In the case of the Peter Hurley lighting setup (shown below), there are 4 distinct lights that create a large opening for the lens to shoot through and surround the subject in very soft, diffused light, very much light beauty lighting.

If you're shooting men or want to adjust contrast you can just dial down one side or the side and bottom a little and you add contrast and a bit of shadow. If you're shooting someone that is slightly heavy and you can't do in-camera slimming then adjusting the lights will get that done, but keep in mind that in the case of a commercial head shot, the casting director needs to see if a person is heavy and to see the shape of the face, unlike other modeling whether lighting can slim a persons face by letting one side go to shadow.

If you're creating more standard portraits then this isn't the lighting setup to use. It's too flat and doesn't offer the directionality and contrast of portrait lighting.

One very nice thing about this type of lighting is that your subject can turn off to either side and be very playful without concerning themselves with the direction of the main light source.

p1337234756-5.jpg

Carroll

Thank you for your explanations and photos of your lighting systems, and photography techniques. It is most interesting. I am light-years away in experience, however, your posts make points about light seem clearer to me in learning about light, and photography in general.

You and other's taking time to share experience is something that cannot be purchased, yet is invaluable to those wanting to know more. Truly, experience is the best teacher.

I am sure I speak for many on the forum.

Thanks again...

Robert Mitchell

Hi Carroll,

I was fortunate enough to have teachers and mentors that selflessly helped me in very much the same way. I love teaching and helping others and this is my way of giving back. Good Karma and all that. :)