New to forum old d80 owner / new d600 owner

Drew Wat

Hi all new here, thanks for having me, just picked up the d600 and am reading the novel that came with it. :dejection: have had the d80 for aprox 5 years and have been into photography since 1983 with various cameras. No expert but not a complete newbie. Since making the leap back to the fx format I feel that I have had my head in the sand with the dx format. Anyways looking forward to learning and passing on what I learn about this new camera.

BackdoorArts

Don't over think the format differences. All you're getting is more of what the lens is looking at. The real difference comes with the additional features. Whatever you can do with the D80 you can do with the D600, only with better image quality and resolution, so start there. Then dip your toe into all the fun stuff.

Great camera. Welcome!!

you did not have your head in the sand on the DX you just had a very old and out of date camera ...the D600 and D7000(soon to be D7200) are not much different except in the MP department ....
FX costs more ..heavier glass......same pictures at DX

stmv

D80 great camera, very vibrant, you might even notice a difference at first, CCD sensor versus CMOS, but Nikon has been tweaking the software to create more vibrant images last few camers, getting closer to the D80 look.

Main differnce is the DOF effect is improved with the FX slightly. and you can

Rick M

Welcome aboard Drew! One of the biggest differences I had to adjust to from Dx to D600 was the 100% viewfinder. I no longer have that buffer zone around the edges! I love the bigger brighter viewfinder and have learned to frame accordingly.