Focus question

jetspeed

1. 39 or 11 point? Why would I select one over the other?

2. What is focus wrap-around? Purpose?

3. Also, my old Nikon D40 used to have 3 focus points. Center, left, and right. I could select between the three situation depending. I used function this a lot.
HOW do I do this with my 600? For example, composing a shot with a person either left or right of center and I would like the person to be in sharp focus. A detailed explanation probably is what I need. The jump from my beloved D40 is great, but the curve is short and kinda' steep.

Thanks!

nikonpup

this is what i am doing while i am learning my d600. I went to a single focus point in the center of the screen. Then using the "focus selector lock" unlocked i can move the focus point around the screen with the multi selector and then lock the focus selector, which is a lot to do while trying to take a shot. The manual sucks when you
have to look at many pages to find instruction. The learning curve for me is going to be very long and steep. Good luck.

DTigga

A shortcut is to put the person/object you want in focus in the middle of the frame and hold the shutter button down half way to focus on them. Then, without releasing the button, re-compose the shot and press the button down the rest of the way.

I find this easier than moving the focus point around constantly; especially when shooting an event where your subjects change from shot to shot.

Dave T

jetspeed

A shortcut is to put the person/object you want in focus in the middle of the frame and hold the shutter button down half way to focus on them. Then, without releasing the button, re-compose the shot and press the button down the rest of the way.

I find this easier than moving the focus point around constantly; especially when shooting an event where your subjects change from shot to shot.

Dave T

I've done this trick before. HOW does this differ from using the AF-L/AE-L button or are they the same function?

DTigga

Thumb vs pinky finger. :)

You can customise the ae-l/af-l button to only lock exposure or focus. At least you can on the D800 so I assume this is the case for the d600. Other than that it is effectively the same thing as holding the button half way. Having said that, I find it far more instinctive to half hold the shutter button than introduce a second button into the mix.

PapaST

I've done this trick before. HOW does this differ from using the AF-L/AE-L button or are they the same function?

For me, I use the half hold/recompose when I'm shooting in AF-S. I use the AF-L whenever I'm shooting in AF-C. AF-C helps me stay focused on moving objects but doesn't allow for half hold/recompose. Also for instance in AF-C mode, if I have a bird in a tree with distance, focal length, weight of camera you'll have some slight movement and you'll notice your focus dance between bird... then tree limb... then back to bird... then a leaf... then back to bird... etc. I'll use AF-L in this situation also.