Snowy Owl

Sambr

Been searching for this one(female) all month finally - D700 & 28-300VR @ 300mm
snowy_dec2012-XL.jpg

snaphappy

Very nice! I got pics of one before Christmas but not nearly nice as it was dark and the subject was in my duck pen having dinner :( It was brazen though so I got a few pics before we helped it on its way. How can you tell if it's female or male?

Sambr

Very nice! I got pics of one before Christmas but not nearly nice as it was dark and the subject was in my duck pen having dinner :( It was brazen though so I got a few pics before we helped it on its way. How can you tell if it's female or male?

Thank you for looking :) Females have black or brown spots - the Male is all white with no dark markings. I have only seen a male once in my life in the field and it truly looked like a ghost.

snaphappy

Learned something new :D I thought it meant she was just young but I guess we had a female (very unwanted hahaha) visitor as well. Those yellow eyes sure are something when they stare at you especially standing out against all that white. That is a lovely photo

BackdoorArts

Wonderful shot, Sam. We had one visit us her in NJ during the great southerly migration last winter - a young female. It was early on in my use of Lightroom and I need to revisit my treatment of the shots I took in my visits to see her.