The 13th full moon of 2012

Dave_W

The Dude
D800; 70-300mm; f-5.6; ISO-100; 1/160 sec

_D8A2681-3.jpg

Last edited:

Moab Man

When you shoot the moon do you do it during the night or before it gets fully dark. Curious what might give the best results.

Love the detail.

Dave_W

The Dude
When you shoot the moon do you do it during the night or before it gets fully dark. Curious what might give the best results.

Love the detail.

I shot this image just as the moon came over the hills which is why it's not a clean white color like you'll get when the moon is high. I don't think there is any one time that is better than the next, both seem to give equal results. I can say that moon shots during the "blue" hour have that rich dark blue background that looks very nice in print.

WhiteLight

I shot this image just as the moon came over the hills which is why it's not a clean white color like you'll get when the moon is high. I don't think there is any one time that is better than the next, both seem to give equal results. I can say that moon shots during the "blue" hour have that rich dark blue background that looks very nice in print.

Having shot a few moon pics, i would think turning the White Balance down a little to the left may reduce the orange and give a whit-er look.
And like you stated i have had much better luck shooting at 'moon rise' & 'moon set' than in the middle of the night.

Dave_W

The Dude
Having shot a few moon pics, i would think turning the White Balance down a little to the left may reduce the orange and give a whit-er look.

Btw - The moon was this color, it had just come up and the light was traveling thru the thick part of the atmosphere as well as picking up the last of the sunset light. About 20 min later the moon was the normal bright white so the color effect didn't last long.

BackdoorArts

We had a party last night. We were running late and I had been pushing my wife out the door, if you know what I mean. So, when we stepped outside to go to the car and saw that the formerly overcast sky had cleared and the moon was in its full glory I had to choose between an evening of being pointed to for "making us late" while I went inside for the camera and tripod, or keeping the upper hand. Last night I went for hand. :)

Nice shot.

WhiteLight

Btw - The moon was this color, it had just come up and the light was traveling thru the thick part of the atmosphere as well as picking up the last of the sunset light. About 20 min later the moon was the normal bright white so the color effect didn't last long.

Ah. i love moon shots :)
nice one dave