Which would you choose? D600 vs Refurb'd D800

TedG954

With the D600 kit deal at $1996 and a Nikon refurbished D800 for $2299, I'm not sure which one I'd choose.

I may have to make that decision and I don't know what I'll do.
  • It's a given that both cameras are great.
  • Weight is a factor.
  • 24MP vs 36MP is a factor.
  • A Nikon factory refurbished camera is actually more appealing than a never-titled camera. So that's not a factor.
  • $300 is a factor, but minimal when related to the products.
So, that's my dilemma.

:cower:

Tami Jo

With just a 300.00 difference I think I'd be looking at the D800 very close. That is a steal I think. The only draw back, the short warranty with refurbished. The d600 you have the full warranty and still a amazing camera. I think the savings may out weight the risk here. That would be a very difficult decision to make Ted. I think you would be happy with either one.

Rick M

It's a good dilema to be faced with :). I know you like to bracket more than 3 shots sometimes, so the D800 might be a better choice with that in mind.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Both are good cameras. It makes it difficult to make a suggestion sometimes since everybody has their own unique financial situation.

Given that you already have some FX lenses, I would go for the D800.

I wouldn't go for the D800 if your computer is not ready to process and store those huge monster RAW files since that will add additional expenses.

stmv

Yup,, D800 for the features and build strength. but test it for focus issues, return if it shows any signs.

grandpaw

The way I am reading what you wrote is that you are comparing a D600 kit with a D800 camera saying it is a $300.00 difference. If you are comparing a D600 kit that includes a lens compared to a D8000 body it is more than a $300.00 difference when you include a lens. Just something to think about.

Dave_W

The Dude
If the refrib'd camera has the same 1 yr full warranty like a new camera, then by all means you should get it. If it does not have a full warranty then it's a crap shoot. Personally, I'd rather have a brand new camera. You never know what bad habits a used camera may have picked up. :D

TedG954

I understand what you're saying about selling the lens and the $ difference, Jeff. But, I know how I am in these situations. I will always want the 800, so it's either now, or later. And, I'm not a patient guy. It's a curse.

Plus, this whole decision is moot if I don't sell my D700. If I don't get what I'm asking, then I'll keep it. As I said earlier, it's a fate thing. If I'm supposed to have the 800, things will all work out according to my plan. If not, there's nothing wrong with my D700, and it will be a lesson learned.

Last edited:

Rick M

I have the same problem, it's gotta be what I really want. Get the re-furb D800 when you sell the D700, or wait for a new D800 later. You will feel better if you just get what you can for the D700 and get moving.

There is always a way to alter fate, we only live once, don't go much longer without that D800!

TedG954

I have the same problem, it's gotta be what I really want. Get the re-furb D800 when you sell the D700, or wait for a new D800 later. You will feel better if you just get what you can for the D700 and get moving.

There is always a way to alter fate, we only live once, don't go much longer without that D800!

Did it.