Program mode question

hrphotography

I have been using M mode for last 2 years (with Olympus & now with D600). Usually to get a good pic i have to take a few pics with different settings (i keep ISO low and usually change shutter speeds). I decided to use P mode, keeping low ISO and letting camera control the shutter speed (&aperture). I noticed that the pics are too bright, losing the clouds effects (esp when i want to make HDR). So my question is, is there a setting to take less brighter photos with P mode?

Thanks in advance.

hrphotography

no problem with manual, it was just i have to get 3-4 shots before i get the one i want (decent exposure), and if even i am at the same place and for next shot i zoom in (which changes the aperture) i have to try 3-4 shots again before i can get the right shutter speed. So i want to try P mode and let the camera do this for me. I know the camera meters the light then selects a shutter speed and aperture....i was wondering if there is a setting that can be changed so the camera would take less brighter photos? (btw i take photos in RAW and edit them in PS for WB, sharpness etc but if its too bright then the fine details are lost).
I hope i was able to tell what i want :)

pedroj

Can't help with what you want....Which lens are you using as in {example] 28-85mm 3.3-4.5..

In manual If you set it at F3.3 for 28mm then zoom out to the long end 85mm the aperture will reset at F4.5 so if you set your aperture beyond F4.5 It will not...Have you tried something like this...

If you have a fixed aperture lens like F2.8 or F4 it will stay as is..

Last edited:

hrphotography

I have AF-S 28-300mm. the aperture varies with focal length. I was hoping there would be a setting like exposure compensation (set to -1 or so) so that the camera would adjust shutter speed (probably faster speed) to get less brighter pics (in RAW also).

Fixed aperture zoom lenses are very expensive, cant buy those : (

you need to be in P and adjust for sharpness +9 contrast -1 and then shoot at 1/2-1 stop under adjusting later in lightroom etc.
The problem with P is that in dark conditions it tends to keep the lens wide open rather than push up the iso .. so I use A at f8 or f11 with iso 100-6400 min speed 1/15 and let it get on with it ...30,000 pictures later shot at a rate of 200 per hour average I have no problems ....

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have AF-S 28-300mm. the aperture varies with focal length. I was hoping there would be a setting like exposure compensation (set to -1 or so) so that the camera would adjust shutter speed (probably faster speed) to get less brighter pics (in RAW also).

Fixed aperture zoom lenses are very expensive, cant buy those : (

I don't think you have to worry about it at all. When you zoom and the aperture changes, there is less light getting on the meter and sensor so the camera automatically makes the correction. Unless you are worried about a certain shutter speed or aperture, this variable aperture thing should not be affecting your pictures.

my experience with M mode ( I have a 35mm f2.5 E series I use for bokeh) is that if you have the auto iso on say 100-6400 (8 stops) then the auto exposure still works ..true if you only used 100-1600 you would have a 4 stop tolerance to your guessed exposure
.....quite what the facination is in turning a piece of the latest electronics into a 1960s manual camera I dont understand .
PS ever heard of a light meter ..a weston V is about $20 if you want to go totally retro,

fotojack

Correct me if I'm wrong, but.....you should have 4 Banks in your menu, right? Each Bank can be set up with YOUR settings that YOU select. For instance....Bank #1 can be called Outdoor Shots.....and you set all the variables for that particular type of shooting. Moving on....Bank #2...maybe call it Portraits.....again, setting it the way you'd like. Same for Banks #3 & #4. I believe these should be found in your Custom Settings Menu. In each Bank, you can set Autofocus, Metering, Exposure, Bracketing, etc.
Then...every time you set your camera to P Mode, you go into your Custom Settings Menu and select the appropriate Bank number.
Correct me if I'm wrong again, but.....shouldn't this be in your owners manual?

????? hold the top button marked +/- down and rotate the master thumb wheel ..you see it change in the top display...you can do the same for flash