Looks like I might be selling the D600

Geoffc

I've had the D600 for less than a month, having moved from the D300s. I was going to run both bodies for a while, keeping the 300 for when I wanted the crop and faster AF for wildlife and suchlike. I always had a slight niggle going from the 300s to the 600 as they are different level bodies and different functionality, but I thought I would give it a go. So far the images from the D600 have been nothing short of fantastic, especially when I've used higher ISO settings that I wouldn't dare on the 300. They are also very crisp (sharp) which is something I didn't find when I tried a certain 16 MP DX camera prior to getting the 300s which is also crisp. That last point may just be me being fussy.

I've now reached the conclusion that I would prefer a single body (D800) that does everything I want in a form factor that I'm happy with. In DX mode I can get the frames per second I want with a grip and the crop factor I want but with an increase from 12 - 15 megapixels. It will also return the superb 51 point AF system and 9 shot bracketing amongst other things. The one thing I don't think I'm bothered about is the 36 megapixels as 24 on the 600 seems fine.

At the risk of repeating myself I am not in any way knocking the D600. It's a fantastic camera and a dream for anyone moving from the 7000,5000 etc. I know some have gone from D300/s to D600 and are perfectly happy, perhaps I've just used it for too long not to miss the differences.

As I got the D600 at a very good price I've just been offered about 12% more than I paid for it. This has helped with my decision as the camera is at a good point to sell for me. Having said all of the above my upgrade path may fall down and I'll have to keep it, at which point I will be glad I said it was a fantastic camera :)

BackdoorArts

Just curious, but outside of the 51 point AF system on the D800 have you thought about changing the D300 for a D7000? Might be the less expensive alternative. It'll give you almost the fps of the 800, more DX megapixels (16 vs. 15) and a dedicated DX camera with your wildlife lens, allowing you to carry the D600 around with whatever else you might want. I love that arrangement with mine. Yes, you lose the 9 shot auto-bracketing, but do you really need that when you've got a camera sitting on a tripod? I've found that beyond 3 shooting handheld I'm going to get movement anyway if I'm looking to do HDR, and anything more than that is either a really ugly lighting situation or some place I should probably be using a tripod.

Last edited:

Geoffc

Just curious, but outside of the 51 point AF system on the D800 have you thought about changing the D300 for a D7000? Might be the less expensive alternative. It'll give you almost the fps of the 800, more DX megapixels (16 vs. 15) and a dedicated DX camera with your wildlife lens, allowing you to carry the D600 around with whatever else you might want. I love that arrangement with mine. Yes, you lose the 9 shot auto-bracketing, but do you really need that when you've got a camera sitting on a tripod? I've found that beyond 3 shooting handheld I'm going to get movement anyway if I'm looking to do HDR, and anything more than that is either a really ugly lighting situation or some place I should probably be using a tripod.

Jake,

I bought a 7000 before the 300s. I didn't like the images it produces so I took it back after ten days and paid £200 more for a D300s. I don't regret that for a moment. That's a personal thing, lots of people love it.

My wife had the 300 for a couple of years before me hence my having used one for several years and I like the feel and functions.

The AF goes beyond the 39 vs 51 points. I believe the number of cross types and processor is also in favour of the D800. The bottom line is that it is notably different in use, at least in my experience.

With regards to bracketing I seem to get 5 shots on the 300 handheld without movement.

I should point out that I will get the 800 for a very good price (if everything goes to plan) as I did with the 600, so my decision is not as difficult some might think. The upgrade will cost less than a D7000.

I will say it again though, the 600 is a fantastic camera and if I end up not being able to do the re-grade I will still be in a good place.

Hopefully I'm not being as crazy as you think.

BackdoorArts

Fair enough. Don't think you're crazy at all. I just wanted to offer an option to save you a few bucks that you might not have considered.

Geoffc

I just wanted to offer an option to save you a few bucks that you might not have considered.

Jake it's a good thing somebody is because I'm failing miserably :).

In reality if I sell my D600, D300s, 18-200 and Tokina 11-16 I should be able to get the D800 and 16-35 F4. That will leave me FX with that lens, plus 24-120 F4, 50 1.8 and 70-200 vrii. With the exception on the TC 2 III to go on the 70-200 my FX conversion will be complete. I can also run in 1.2 or 1.5 crop mode when I want the fps or crop factor.

Last edited:

stmv

if you are a long time D300 user, then you are correct that you will love the D800 as an upgrade. It will fell second nature for you. I have to admit that my D7000 has been collecting more and more dust lately (actualy went back to using my D700 more as my backup to the D800.

I still love the D7000, but from a fit and feel,, hard to fault the D300/700/800 platform.