Upgrade from D50

jcissell

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a photography person myself, but my brother has been shooting pictures for the last 15 years or so and has gone through a few cameras. He currently has a D50 and it is getting very unreliable. He really needs a new camera and I want to get him one. I know he has his eye on one that is about $2,500-$3000 but I can't spend that kind of money. I want to get him something from $800-$1500 that will get him through until he can purchase the hi-end camera he wants and also something that will be a good backup if he gets a better camera. He really shoots everything. Landscapes, sporting events, birthdays, family gatherings. There isn't a place he doesn't take his camera.

Can any of you tell me what camera may be best for him that is at least equivalent if not better than the D50?

Thanks for your help.

Josh

disciplerocks

There's not much below the D50. Almost anything would be an upgrade. Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge of higher end bodies than me. If you don't mind used, but still in excellent condition I suggest checking out Adorama's used section. Good luck.

jcissell

I've been doing some reading and it seems my two options are the d90 and d7000. The reason for going with a d90 would be to save the money. But if I'm spending $1000, why not spend the extra $200 and a newer camera.

I don't really know what lenses he has. I do know he has a few, but not much money tied up in them.

It seems like the D7000 is going to cost $1200, any secret places you know of to get it cheaper than that? Also is the price of $1200 something that will stick around or should I actually try to get it before January 5? (when it says the discounts discontinue)

Thanks.

Last edited:

jcissell

Ok I found out what lenses he has. They are:
AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G/ Nikon DX/VR
AF Nikkor 70-210mm 1:4 Nikon (this is from an old 35mm film camera he used to have)

With that being said, my plan was to get the body and lens kit that came with the 18-105mm lens. Should I still do this or just get the body and let him use the lenses he already has and maybe give him some money toward a different lens. Or would the 18-105mm be a good addition to what he already has.

Thanks.

DTigga

I'm a big fan of the 18-105. It's a great 'walk around' lens. I'd go the d7000 over the d90 I'd you can swing the extra $.

Dave T

nikonpup

a camera is a very personalized item. I would gift the funds toward a camera purchase. Let your brother chose what he would like. With the price drops for the holidays maybe a d600 would fit in the budget.

fotojack

Nothing wrong with the D90. Still a great camera. All the lenses he currently has will go nicely with that camera. And yes, the 18-105 lens is a great walk around lens. As previously suggested, even a used one will save you a lot of money. D7000's have come down quite a bit, too, and is another great option......just a higher learning curve to use. But that's probably not an issue if he's been into photography for any length of time. Still....the D90 is one hell of a good camera. Tough as nails. After his D50, he'd be ecstatic with a D90!

stmv

If you have the dough, then D7000 is the current bargain at 896 dollars. I bought mine for 1200 when it came out. And this camera has plenty of life in it.

The reason I suggest the D90, is that new copies are still available for 716 dollars from Amazon. This has the D300 sensor, very nice sensor, and takes excellent pictures. I personally would choose a new D90 over a 5100 or 3100 just for the features (it still can drive the autofocus lenses without the focus motors and there are some great used lenses out there or discounted new ones).

but, if you have the bucks... get the D7000.

If money was not an object,, then a D600,, or a used D700.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcissell

Thanks for the help everyone. I ordered the D7000 with the 18-105mm lens from Amazon. I have a prime account so for only $8.99 shipping, it will be here tomorrow. We are going to a bowl game next weekend so I want him to have some time to play with it before we go.

Josh