Low light amazement - High ISO and good software with the D600

BackdoorArts

As I mentioned, my brother told me he was blown away by the high ISO performance of the D600. I hadn't messed with it much, so as I sat in the family room last night waiting for the wife to come in so we could watch a movie I fired off a couple shots. What you have below are a pair of renderings of the same shot. Taken at maximum ISO (H2.0), or what translates to ISO 25600, at 1/80 sec, f/11 (far from wide open). Camera had High ISO NR set to "Normal".

1. This is straight out of the camera with no Lightroom noise reduction adjustments (I only brushed the shade, rather badly, just to see what detail I could pull out of the inside of the lamp, and turned on the lens profiling).

_D610456.jpg

I am pretty darned impressed as you could easily make this usable for many purposes with just the lightroom tools. But then I wondered...

2. ...What if I ran it through Nik Software's Dfine 2.0 tool? This is one of the best, and easiest noise reduction tools out there. It analyzes your photo and inserts control areas where it measures noise and applies reduction based on color and patterns. I've only scratched the surface with it as I don't do a lot of low light photography where I push the ISO, but here's the result. Yes, you lose some edges, but remember this was shot at ISO 25600!!

_D610456-Edit.jpg

Last edited: