Adorama & D600 dust

fhibbs12

I have been debating on upgrading from the d5100 but this dust problem has me worried! However, just last week the 'sales rep' for adorama insisted this new most recent shipment from Nikon had the dust problem corrected.

Any truth to this that anyone knows?

Sambr

Not to worry. Even if you happen to get one with dust, it's an easy fix. I bet your D5100 has dust in it right now. Crank it up to f22 shoot a blue sky, you will be shocked. Has it bothered you, probably not if you didn't know about it.

Sambr

I just didn't know if it was a sales pitch or an honest answer. :)

That I can't say. I bought a D800 when people were complaining about the "left focus" issue - never had a problem over 3500 images not a hiccup. I would do the same now with a D600 if I was to want one.

Rick M

I just didn't know if it was a sales pitch or an honest answer. :)

Some have more than others. I'm not sure they would know unless they have been checking them. If you can buy local, check them out in the store. Worst case is you have to blow off the sensor occasionally until it subsides.

BackdoorArts

I bought mine from B&H, not Adorama. Dust has been problematic, appearing after just 100 shots. I do a sensor check before heading out each time, blow the sensor off and keep my fingers crossed. I dealt with the same issue on my D7000 (though it took longer to manifest), so I'm used to doing the due diligence as I process my shots to check for spots and fix them in Lightroom. Wish it wasn't an issue, but the quality of the shots I'm getting makes it more than worth it.

I3igcircle

I am located in AB Canada and purchased a launch D600. Fresh out of the box it had the specs along the left with anything higher than f8.

95% of the specs cleared up with a bit of air. Only 2-3 specs were persistent and the majority of the time could not be noticed.

I am taking my family to Hong Kong at the end of the month and looked into getting it cleaned/fixed. Nikon rep said they are prioritizing D600 sensor cleans and that it would be done and sent back out within 2 days of receiving. Also paid for all the shipping in and back.

Amazing camera (can't go wrong), awesome customer experience (if your D600 does have an issue and it bugs you).

Cheers,
N

PapaST

Did they say they were just going to clean it? Or were they actually going to do something to resolve the problem?

I3igcircle

The said they would clean it to resolve the current image issue and take a look. Said they have had a few other D600's sent in and serviced with great results and no further complaints.

N

Nikonitus

Not to worry. Even if you happen to get one with dust, it's an easy fix. I bet your D5100 has dust in it right now. Crank it up to f22 shoot a blue sky, you will be shocked. Has it bothered you, probably not if you didn't know about it.

I thought that was well spoken and very indicative of this "dust" thing... Yes, my D600 DID have dusty deposits when I inspected it a while ago. I first learned about dust on the sensor (or at least the LP filter) back when I had a D80. I simply cleaned as per instructions I saw in a forum just likt this one. I did the same with the D300 I bought a couple of years later, cleaned it too, only when required of course. You know what, I did the same thing with the D600, and will continue to do so. From what I learned of dust with the previous two cameras, I just can't see anything to get all upset about. The stuff is always present, I'd guess even immediately after you clean them and in basically any DSLR of this type, no matter which brand name is on it. Just wait until its presence annoys you enough, then clean it away and wait til the next time, but don't get upset by it...

There are still many great photos to be had between cleans...

PapaST

Take a pic of the clear blue sky at f22 and then scan the image (from camera if you'd like) at 100%. Just move the "view box" up and down the image in a sweeping motion and see if you notice any dark speck marks. Those speck marks are dust or some type of oil/debris. It's not so much that it HAS dust but that it accummulates quickly. So a one time test isn't complete. You should check it out and then again after X amount of shutter actuations (maybe 100 - 500 or so). And see if it's gotten worse, stayed the same, etc.

BackdoorArts

dont take the lens off and use the auto clean which shakes the sensor ..of course that means you need a 28-300 zoom ......

Apparently you didn't watch the video I linked showing build-up on a brand new camera where the lens was applied immediately and never removed. It's a problem. My first showed up 100 clicks in with the kit lens, that was placed on once and not changed to that point (when it was removed to try and blow the sensor clean, which removed about 75% only).

If you need to avoid it as it's happening, just stay away from high apertures and it'll be mostly unnoticeable and otherwise fixable. That, and occasional sensor clean will do you. From what I'm reading this problem seems to last only through about 3000 actuations (I'm half way there). We'll see.

Last edited:

Drew Wat

Just checked mine out and yes a couple of dust particles are present at f22. did the cleaning and still present. So a question that I have is if you do the cleaning of the sensor where do the particles go that are cleaned off the sensor? Do they magically disappear or are they still floating around inside the camera waiting to stick to the sensor again? This will go away after a number of shots then? How big a problem is this with "normal" shooting. This is serviceable at repair shops? I do lots of changing of lenses between shots so is this an ongoing issue that I am going to be plagued with? I have never cleaned my old D80 and this wasn't even thought of as an issue.