Nikkor 55-300 VR or Nikkor 70-300 VR?

avisekdg

I have read many forums on this but still not able to decide which one should i go for. I have a NIKON D3100
As I can understand
1. AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR- is a newer lense and is lighter
2.AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (4.3x)- is older one and is a little heavier and bigger.

Other than this can anyone advise on the technical and photographic sides in comparing these two and help in selecting one between them?
Thanks

stmv

lots of used 70-300 out there, and works on future FX camera if you go in that direction. I had the older 70-300, not really happy about it,

I got the 55-300 for really cheap, must have been a gray market one (250 dollars) , so I was not expecting a lot, but I have been surprised
with the results, and nice light weight hiking lens.

Either lens will be good, as long as you are not too rough, and don't expect the fastest focus for either.

avisekdg

thanks for the replies. I just read that the lense opening for 70-300VR being bigger it can give you better light and result in low lighting condition than the 55-300VR, whose opening diameter is relatively smaller. Is that really true? Any one who has used both the lenses will be able to justify this properly i guess. Thanks

PhotoAV8R

I just read that the lense opening for 70-300VR being bigger it can give you better light and result in low lighting condition than the 55-300VR...
It's not the physical size of the front element that determines the low light performance of the lens; it's the aperture (ratio of front element diameter to focal length). Somebody is in error: the Writer, the Reader, or Me. Me thinks you need to re-read what you read, or post a link to it here.

Both lenses have an aperture range of f/4.5-5.6. Since the range of focal length is different (50-300 vs. 70-300), there may be small differences at any particular focal length. However, I would think the light-gathering performance is pretty much the same for both lenses.

BWTHDIK

grandpaw

I have the 70-300VR lens and it will take some pretty sharp pictures. I do not have any knowledge of the 55-300VR but one thing I do know is that the 70-300VR WILL WORK on a FX camera and the other one will not work on a FX camera. Don't rule out eventually moving the a full frame camera the way prices are dropping.

Cochese

I have the 70-300VR lens and it will take some pretty sharp pictures. I do not have any knowledge of the 55-300VR but one thing I do know is that the 70-300VR WILL WORK on a FX camera and the other one will not work on a FX camera. Don't rule out eventually moving the a full frame camera the way prices are dropping.

Forgive the dumb question, but why won't it work on an FX?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Because the lens is not designed to cover the whole 24x36mm FX sensor. You would get only a smaller part of the sensor covered with good sharpness. Some say that some DX lenses will cover the FX sensor, but there is always a quality and light loss in the corners. It's exactly like trying to cover a surface with too small a blanket.

grandpaw

Marcel beat me to the answer but I would like to clarify something. I should have written that it will not work properly on a full frame camera. You will need to replace any DX lenses with lenses designed for a full frame camera. This is the major reason I am not getting a Nikon D600 because four of my six lenses are made for a DX style camera and would have to be replaced.

Cochese

Should have thought of that reason.

I suppose it's similar to what I've read on my flash where people have said it's incompatible with my camera. It's not that it won't work, it's that it won't take full advantage of the camera's capabilities.

Thanks.

Michael J.

Two days ago I was a bit thinking changing my 55-300 to 70-300. The Focus is really slow and I couldn't get any flying birds in that way I liked.

Now I am thinking is it neccersarry ore ho woften I am going to shoot Birds in flight. But more I consider is the dance performance of my daughter. It is not allowed gong quite close to the stahge so the distance will be approximately 8 to 10 meters.

I think a faster focus would be nice.

I am thinking and thinking and thinking.....