Indoor group pics

Billys60

Hi folks, some advice for a newbie please. Holiday time so will be taking pics of friends and family indoors just pop up flash and indoor lights any advice for settings. I'll be using lightroom after to develop them but that will be a challange also as new to that also. :confused:

Rick M

What lens will you be using? I'd bump up the ISO to give the pop-up flash some help. Also lower f stop, but with a group, you will want at least 5.6 depending on the depth of the group and lens.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Depending on the number of people, I'm not sure about the power of the pop-up flash. If you could get your hands on a external flash or two, you'd be a lot better. Usually, indoor lighting is just weak and strong enough to give you a mis-match with the flash. If the flash is too weak to overpower the existing light, then It's very difficult to post process to get nice flesh tones.

If the ceiling is low and white enough, the use of an enough powerful external flash is the key to success for group shots.

If you don't have one and can't rent of borrow, then I'd go with the available light and crank up the iso.

Let us know how it turns out and share your pics.

Cowboybillybob1

Newbie here as well. I purchased a Sunpak DigiFlash 3000 which is about as cheap as you can get for a decent flash. It was $60.00 at Walmart. The light swivels both horizontilly and vertically so you can bounce the light off a wall or ceiling for a much less harsh flash. It is TTL so it adjusts the amount of flash based on your settings. It also assists with Auto Focusing.

I have found this to be indespensable in low light conditions, especially indoors.
I would like a more full featured unit but this one works great and my photos are much better because of it.

aZuMi

YoungNuo flash is a good cheap alternative too. Bounce it to the ceiling at TTL, put it at f8 to make sure all your family's faces are sharp, and click away.

alltimeqb

I'm new to the DSLR world, however until you get better acquainted with your camera, the pop-up flash should be good enough for most in-home situations. Just take the time before you go snapping away - to set the white balance for flash...

I'm still learning and know there are many things I have yet to learn, but I took some nice group pictures today, Christ's Birthday! Thank the Lord God Almighty!