High ISO Nutcracker

Ruidoso Bill

Showed up for the dress rehearsal and lights were even lower. Quickly shot into manual mode ISO 3200, shutter 1/125 and f2.8 for most.

The camera now has done over 6,000 clicks.

Here is a link to see what they are looking like, click here

I am just over halfway PP. I am using NR in LR4 at about 20 for most.

Ruidoso Bill

Very nice Bill! The vibrant colors agianst the dark background really make these pop!

I shot the entire production trying get a little of every cast member between the low light and the big crops I am very please with the camera's performance, doubt I'll ever put it through this environment again (til this spring lol) but know I could makes me more confident in this camera.

Ruidoso Bill

They look great!! Once again the D800 comes to the low-light rescue!!

Cracks me up when folks say you can't shoot low light with a D800, also keep in mind many of the shots are cropped down as low as 4mb, and still usable for prints. I can't wait to shoot more horse barrel racing and some upcoming gymnastics and horse jumping, should be a blast, will see what the same folks say when they say you can't shoot action either.

Last edited:

Sambr

Awesome Bill :) nice work. I am with you I don 't listen to the so called "experts" who don't own a camera however they can judge it without real world experience. These jokers will never own anything other thn a point n shot.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Great shots Bill, I can't help to wonder if you used the meter or if you had settings from your test shots that you kept.

I remember a concert that I was covering and I had to underexpose quite a bit since a large area was in the dark but the face of the singer was brightly lit.

Did you encounter overexposure a little bit too?

Ruidoso Bill

Great shots Bill, I can't help to wonder if you used the meter or if you had settings from your test shots that you kept.

I remember a concert that I was covering and I had to underexpose quite a bit since a large area was in the dark but the face of the singer was brightly lit.

Did you encounter overexposure a little bit too?

Exactly your experience, I had to decrease exposure in LR about .5, some a little more. Overall it was a big endeavor but still better than a wedding.