The Death of the ED lens

stmv

The writing is on the wall, as Nikon continues to phase into the G series lens, more and more of the ED versions are fading to the wayside,

Yes, I understand that many of the entry cameras don't drive the ED version,

but the size of the ED lens alone for me makes the ED versions desirable. Then there is the increased cost of the G lens, I would rather have one camera that drives all the lens, and keep the lens simple.

but, only a matter of time before the full line will be G.

Berkerk

Erm, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't ED (Extra-low Dispersion) a lens coating, not a lens class. There are numerous G lenses with ED glass.

Dave_W

The Dude
I suspect stmv is is referring to the "D" lens series that with only a few exceptions, is completely phased out of Nikon's line up. From my understanding, making a lens without an aperture ring was preferred because they're cheaper to produce but yet the G lenses tend to be more expensive....go figure.

stmv

yes, the D series, still a fair number being made, but just a matter of time. Plus the D's are just about all made still in Japan, while the Gs are being phased over to China.

stmv

here is some D ..
20, 24, 50, 60, 85, 105DC, 135 DC, and lots of high end zooms , etc.,, so, still lots of opportunity, just the trend is away from them.

Last edited:

Robert Mitchell

Ahh yes, AF-D lenses.

Like all Nikkor glass, there is a ton of it available in the used market and places like KEH. What's good about the move towards AF-S G lenses is that if you do like the older lenses, prices will be good, if not great.

stmv

I think that the DSLR sells have been so high, that the prices have rised considerably in the last 3 years. Very hard to find a great deal anymore. Lens have become a commodity pricing model at this point.