DSLR Firmware

MINI ME

I'm new to photography world, honestly what is the firmware of a DSLR? I also heard of "firmware update", actually what are those and how to update it. Thank You!:joyous:

nikonpup

hi, it would help if you would fill out your profile info so we know what camera u r using. Check your manual for firmware.

Dave_W

The Dude
Hi Mini Me - it's not nearly as hard as it seems. You do need to have a card reader attached to your computer in order to pull this off.

Here is a cut-n-paste from Nikon's website and is the instructions for the D800 firmware update. When you go to Nikon's website to get your firmware update you'll see similar instructions only the name of the camera will match your camera

Basic Upgrade instructions: for detailed instructions, see pdf files below. Please read carefully before proceeding.
  1. Create a new folder with an appropriate name on your computer.
  2. Choose the correct download below for the computer system you are using, and save the download to the folder created in step 1.
  3. Run the downloaded file to create the folder titled D800Update, containing the following file: D800_0101.bin
  4. Format an approved memory card in the camera, then remove .
  5. Copy the D800_0101.bin file to the top level of the memory card using a memory card reader or similar device, do not copy the file into anyfolder on the memory card.
  6. Insert memory card into the cameras memory card slot, and switch on.
  7. Select Firmware Version from the setup menu and follow the instructions displayed to upgrade the camera's firmware.
  8. DO NOT switch off the camera at any time during the update, doing so may result in the need for service.
  9. After the upgrade is complete, trun the camera off and remove the memory card.
  10. Check the cameras firmware version to be sure it completed.
  11. Format memory card in camera for use.
  12. * - Firmware updates can be performed for you at authorized Nikon service centers.