Posting Entries using Windows 8

Mike150

I realize that not many are using Windows 8 right now, but It appears when I make comments or open a post, the "Enter" button is ignored. I just got this laptop (early Christmas present). I was just wondering if anyone else was using Win8 and if they had a similar problem. I also tried Control Enter but that didn't work either. At this point, I'm going into the back to my desktop and see if Enter works there.

Mike150

Perhaps I did not explain my problem. I am speaking of the "ENTER" key on my keyboard. On my desktop (Win7) I can press the enter key and get a new line. On this Win8 laptop, the Enter key is ignored. In either case, "Post Quick Reply" works to post my message

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
What is the desired outcome by pressing enter? A line return? I'm assuming that you're using the latest internet explorer?

Mike150

That is correct Jdeg. By pressing the "Enter" key, my desire was to get a new line, rather than have all my text run on and on. My Internet Explorer is version 10.

Dave_W

The Dude
So Mike, how are you and Windows 8 getting along? I've been running it on my desktop computer for about 2 months now. Can't say I'm in love with it but then again I go straight to the desktop and it runs pretty much the same as Windows 7. I have noticed that CS6 Photoshop is not a big fan of Windows 8. It sometimes gets a little flashy for some reason but it's not been bad enough to cause a crash. I wonder if reinstalling PS might make a difference...

Mike150

Hey Dave. I try to stay in the Desktop environment also. The Start screens are patterned to be used with touchscreens. They work very similar to those smart phones. (I don't have one of those either). As best I can tell, it was not intended for laptops either. If your hand or finger happens to touch to the right of the touchpad, and you drag to the left the Charms bar pops up. Well I can tell you that a touch pad in the normal position on a laptop is constantly making that charms bar pop open. It's a pain in the Behindparts, but I'm determined to get used to it. After all, my wife bought it for me and she was so proud of herself for picking something technical out without my help.

Ruidoso Bill

Hey Dave. I try to stay in the Desktop environment also. The Start screens are patterned to be used with touchscreens. They work very similar to those smart phones. (I don't have one of those either). As best I can tell, it was not intended for laptops either. If your hand or finger happens to touch to the right of the touchpad, and you drag to the left the Charms bar pops up. Well I can tell you that a touch pad in the normal position on a laptop is constantly making that charms bar pop open. It's a pain in the Behindparts, but I'm determined to get used to it. After all, my wife bought it for me and she was so proud of herself for picking something technical out without my help.

I helped a friend setup windows 8, quite a challenge for her. figured out the desktop and downloaded a free ap with a start button, made even more like windows 7 then.

Dave_W

The Dude
I downloaded that app, I think it's called Start8 but now that I'm used to Windows 8, I really don't use it that much. The big draw of Windows 8 over the previous version is that you can load up more than 16 gigs of memory. In Windows 7 you couldn't go above 16 unless you had the Pro version. Unfortunately, I'm forced to wait for the invention of 16 gig DRAMs since I have only 2 memory slots. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before we see 16 gig and 32 gig DRAMs become common place.

stmv

I helped a friend setup windows 8, quite a challenge for her. figured out the desktop and downloaded a free ap with a start button, made even more like windows 7 then.

such a riot, bet a hundred million was investe in this stuff, and someone as to write an AP to make it look like the older version, priceless.

DTigga

IE 10 has a compatability mode. It can emulate all the way bac to IE 7. Just press the compatibility button to the right of the address bar (looks like a paper sheet with a tear in the middle). If it still doesn't work then press F12 to bring up the developer window. This will give you the ability to select which version of IE to emulate.

DT

Mike150

Thanks for all the inputs. I tried Shift Enter but that didn't work either. I finally decided that since I'm old and (some say) dumb, I just restored the system back to full factory settings and my wife is returning it today. Besides, the money is much better spent on the grandkids. This old Vista Laptop will work for a few more years.

Did I mention Win 8 has a setting to restore everything back to exactly as you got it? Well the process took almost 6 hours...

Anyway thanks for the infos and I'll be on this vista system or on my Win 7 desktop in the back from now on.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I found a patch to fix this. Can you guys confirm that things are working correctly in ie10?