New and still confused!

Rickysa

Hi all! I'm Rick from NC in the states and have finally jumped head first into digital...been shooting film forever as a hobbyist, but figured it was time for this old dog to learn the new tricks.

Read Ken Rockwell over and over and over and finally settled on a 5100. So I'm hear to learn!!:D

RockyNH_RIP

Rick, Welcome!! I hope that you find this forum as warm and friendly as I have. You will find the Manual is something you need to read to get familiar with all of your controls.. and then again for those you do not remember!!

I have the same camera and enjoy it very much.. Wish you well with it.

Pat in NH

Xrsm002

I have the D5100 also. Best Buy sells a DVD you can watch that explains both the basic and advanced controls it's about 2 hrs long.

Dave_W

The Dude
Welcome, Rickysa! Lot's of members here use the D5100, it's a powerful camera and the learning curve isn't too steep. As to your "confusion", I think you hit the nail on the head with the words "Ken Rockwell". He seems to be very good at leaving people "still confused" ;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome Rick, the 5100 will be a fine tool for you to learn photography. I've seen fantastic images that were created with this camera. It's now all up to you to take pictures, take more pictures and learn all about light and light capture with your new camera.

If you could put your hands on old photography books, even if they don't talk at all digital, you'd learn the basics about light, exposure and contrast. It will then be your creativity that will make your shots.

Enjoy your Nikon!

Rickysa

Thanks for the kind welcome folks:encouragement:. That DVD sounds great...I just ordered a book written about the D5000 ("Mastering the D5000" Mastering the Nikon D5000: Darrell Young: 9781933952529: Amazon.com: Books), figuring I could still get some good info out of it even though the menus would be different...Best to all!

eta: so, Ken Rockwell is a taboo topic huh,...:D

eta2: any more info on the DVD? I've seen a couple, and the single disc one didn't get a very good review, so I'm sure I'm looking at the wrong one...who made it???? thx!

Last edited: