SB700 w/ D5100

Rickysa

Still working my around my new toy...purchased a SB-700 to go with the camera, and am now learning that the 5100 does not have commander mode, although the 700 does...

Since I'm the last person in the free world to have just jumped into DSLR land (I still can't bear to part w/ all the Nikon 35 mm stuff on the shelf), I would guess that the best way to manage this situation and take advantage of the wireless capability of commander mode, would just be to purchase a secondary strobe that is "commander mode capable" and mount the sb-700 on the camera's hotshoe?

Thanks and hello to all here!

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm pretty sure that is they way most people set up the slave/commander mode. I've no experience with strobes but I have read a bit about them and I believe that's they way most people run them.

RockyNH_RIP

Still working my around my new toy...purchased a SB-700 to go with the camera, and am now learning that the 5100 does not have commander mode, although the 700 does...

Since I'm the last person in the free world to have just jumped into DSLR land (I still can't bear to part w/ all the Nikon 35 mm stuff on the shelf), I would guess that the best way to manage this situation and take advantage of the wireless capability of commander mode, would just be to purchase a secondary strobe that is "commander mode capable" and mount the sb-700 on the camera's hotshoe?

Thanks and hello to all here!

Just wondered how you made out with your new flash??? I am also going to be buying the SB-700 for my D5100. I may look into cheaper off camera units and run them via radio triggers.

Pat in NH

Rickysa

Love the SB-700...even signed up for the Nikon class that's offered in a nearby city to learn how to get the most out of it!!

RockyNH_RIP

Love the SB-700...even signed up for the Nikon class that's offered in a nearby city to learn how to get the most out of it!!

You will have to share some pics with us from the flash... especially after you take that class. I am interested as I have the same camera and am getting the same flash..

Pat in NH

WayneF

I would guess that the best way to manage this situation and take advantage of the wireless capability of commander mode, would just be to purchase a secondary strobe that is "commander mode capable" and mount the sb-700 on the camera's hotshoe?

You could, however, that means the expensive new flash has to be on the hot shoe for the Commander to work, sometimes not the best place for a flash. It does have a menu to disable the commander flash from contributing to the picture, which is the normal usage, IMO.

Or, you could buy the Nikon SU-800 Commander, which is the same controller, does the same job, but is not a flash. It does not flash visible light to contribute to the exposure. It is less expensive, and can be a plus, since the commander infrared signals will not make your subject blink in the photos.

However, camera models like 5100 without the commander also do NOT have the FV LOCK function, which is quite handy to bypass same pictures of the subject blinking. Or the SU-800 should help it considerably, but the remote flashes still have to flash preflash, which could cause blinking again. People vary greatly in how much they have to blink. FV Lock ends all that. See Using the Nikon CLS Remote Wireless Flash System

Another notion is that this money (at least $250) could be put towards a camera upgrade, with Commander, and other features.

Camera and SB-700 commanders can control two groups, SU-800 can control three groups (a group, A, B, or C, is normally one flash, but it is those remote lights all receiving the same command instructions).

Last edited:

Michael J.

My SB 700 Speedlight arrived today!

I am all excited ... Looking to try some decent flash work!

Pat in NH

Do you often use your flash?

Yesterday was the first time I wished I got a flash. It was terrible taking photos in the morning-sun without fill-in light. I did my best in PP but it was not that satisfying result.

No my min did rally open buying a flash

RockyNH_RIP

Do you often use your flash?

Yesterday was the first time I wished I got a flash. It was terrible taking photos in the morning-sun without fill-in light. I did my best in PP but it was not that satisfying result.

No my min did rally open buying a flash

Michael, I do not use it all that often... but when I do want it, it is there... I used it a fair amount in Michigan. Most of my outdoor shots are scenic etc and not people so I have not had much needoutdoors (and the times I could, likely did not have it!! )

I always have with if intending indoor shooting... No regrets on getting it and I have 2 700's now..

Pat in NH

I have the SB-700 also and also do not use it very often. The latest time I used it as fill-in outdoors. It added just enough to fill in the shadows under the eyes and the face when the sun was behind the people I was shooting. Added just enough to make it look good.