Video recording?

Danny

I've recently been torn between which camera to purchase as my first dslr. I've been reading up on both the D5100 and the D3100 and I've decided to go with the D3100 as it is a great all around camera for about $125 cheaper than the 5100 (both based on adorama prices).

I've read up on the D3100 and I see it takes pretty great pictures and everything, however, I haven't seen much on video quality. Now I know a few people are going to try and say "oh, well if you want a video camera go buy a video camera!" Or something but I don't have that luxury. I'm a teenager with my first job (for a photography business :D) and business is slow right now.

With that being said, can anyone speak on the d3100s recording quality and I wouldn't mind if you told me how your experiences are with the D3100 as a whole have been. You know, things to look out for, tips etc.

Thank you in advance,
Daniel

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm not a fan of the D3100 since it's just too small for me and has very little features.

With the two proposed DSLR models, I would rather go with the D5100 which has a swivel LCD and has the same sensor as my D7000 (which is a good thing). You'll need a Nikon ME-1 mic to get a better stereo sound for recording.

I use my Nikon D7000 and D800E for video and it works well for what I use. Here is a sample below. I hope this helps.

AC016

Cool:) I understand budget constraints! However, if you can afford it, please go with the 5100. I say this because if you are going to use your DSLR for alot of video, the 5100 is better suited. I say this because of the swivel screen, which is what most hand held video cameras have. It just makes it so much easier to use. Aside from that, i think the 5100 is a bit more camera for you to grow into. Good luck

SteveH

I have the D3100, and the video feature is nice to have, although you cannot use an external Mic, whether a Nikon one or 3rd party one, as there is no connector for it on the camera! Also, if you are going to shhot video in quiet locations, the focus motor can come out noisy, so maybe try manual focusing... Whatever you decide to get, have fun!

Danny

Yeah guys, I'm mainly using it for photography. I just figure that the Video would come in handy so that non-articulating screen and external Mic thing are no problem. Thanks all who replied :)

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2