My D600 so far

Geoffc

Well I've had the 600 for a week now having previously used the D300s (I still have that one in the bag for now). Very quick summary:

Autofocus - Not a patch on the D300, especially in low light/contrast. No big surprise. It's fine but so far but not as quick or accurate. It hunts in low contrast dark situations which the 300 doesn't.

Lack of pro body features like 9 shot brackets, buttons and switches missing - I knew this before I bought it so this is just a comment.

Different body - Actually not as bad as I thought going from the chunky 300 body. It's in between the 300 and the 7000. Still feels and looks OK

Dust - Yes it built up so I rattled off 3000 shots yesterday using the interval timer and cleaned the sensor. I'll keep you posted. I expected this so no surprise unless it continues.

Image quality - FANTASTIC including high ISO pictures. Did I mention that it has FANTASTIC image quality? That's why I bought it and it's exceeded expectations.

I'm in a hurry now but here are a few night shots with it from the other night.

In summary, I think I like it a lot and the 24-120 F4 is doing a great job also.

Last edited:

Geoffc

Very nice shots! What were the typical settings for those shots?

Rick,

Thanks for he compliment. They are all F8/9 and between about .5 and 8 secs. If you click on each image to load it in it's own page it give the details on the right hand side.

These are all A mode and let the meter sort out the rest. A couple are handheld at Iso 5000

Rick M

Rick,

Thanks for he compliment. They are all F8/9 and between about .5 and 8 secs. If you click on each image to load it in it's own page it give the details on the right hand side.

These are all A mode and let the meter sort out the rest. A couple are handheld at Iso 5000

I noticed some long exposures at ISO 100 and some at very high ISO with of course shorter exposures. Which do you feel gave you the best quality?

Geoffc

I noticed some long exposures at ISO 100 and some at very high ISO with of course shorter exposures. Which do you feel gave you the best quality?

Low ISO long exposure was better, but the high iso was pretty good. I only did the high iso to compare as I would have used 100 otherwise.

See for yourself as I've posted big images on Flickr if you want to pixel peep. Click an image then right click on it and choose a large size.

Rick M

I'll have another look, did not realize they were large files. I assumed that with the exception of wind inducing camera shake, the long exposure would be more desireable. I've got to get out and try some night shooting. Thanks for the info, they really are fantastic shots!

BackdoorArts

Very, very nice photos, Geoff. The weather has finally settled here and I'm anxious to get outside with mine, which arrived Monday.

If I'm reading this correctly, you let yours go on interval to purposefully get 3000 shots in and check on the oil/dust? Hadn't thought about that, but it seems like it might not be a bad idea up front.

Geoffc

Very, very nice photos, Geoff. The weather has finally settled here and I'm anxious to get outside with mine, which arrived Monday.

If I'm reading this correctly, you let yours go on interval to purposefully get 3000 shots in and check on the oil/dust? Hadn't thought about that, but it seems like it might not be a bad idea up front.

Thanks Jake, we are now Flickr contacts. I had a look at some of yours and I really like your work.

I would just use it at first and let some of those 3000 shots be your learning. If you post process, the odd spot is no big deal. It was on a video that I noticed them more.

It doesn't take long at one fps.

BackdoorArts

Geoff - those where my thoughts after posting. I usually hit this place early in the morning as the coffee clears away the cobwebs from the night before, so ideas that set in sometimes get filtered a bit.

I got used to spot checking with the D7000 until it finally got to where it wouldn't shake loose with the self-cleaning turned on and it needed a wipe. It's been fine since. I'll keep my eyes peeled for just how long it takes here. I do a lot of lens swapping, so dust gets a little more opportunity that way.