Using ViewNX 2

stocks26

Hello all,

I recently completed a software update of ViewNX 2 and have also changed numerous settings to my D7000. The upshot is that I am no longer able to edit any downloaded photos; RAW or JPEG. When I say edit, I mean I am unable to delete, crop or change any of the settings. Everything is greyed out.

I've obviously inadvertently changed something, but I just can't figure out what. Any ideas? It's probably (hopefully) something simple, and I will have a big d'oh! moment once it's figured out.

Just to say that while I am an infrequent poster, I am an avid reader or the Forum and always learn something new.

Many thanks!

Carroll

Perhaps you have already thought of this, however, I will suggest that you re-set your camera to factory default settings, and un-install ViewNX2, and re-install it and start over again.

Perhaps do the software first, see if that fixes things. If not, then re-set your camera, and see if that works.

You could make a list of settings in your camera you like so you could duplicate it later, if you re-set your camera.

If none of this works, Nikon Support could surely be of assistance.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Philnz

Perhaps you have already thought of this, however, I will suggest that you re-set your camera to factory default settings, and un-install ViewNX2, and re-install it and start over again.

Perhaps do the software first, see if that fixes things. If not, then re-set your camera, and see if that works.

You could make a list of settings in your camera you like so you could duplicate it later, if you re-set your camera.

If none of this works, Nikon Support could surely be of assistance.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Yes way to go.

stocks26

Thanks for the advice.

I uninstalled etc ViewNX 2, no difference. I re-set my camera settings, no difference. I noticed under 'File - Protect Files' that files were showing as Protected. By going through each folder that was affected and selecting all the photos in that folder I was able to unprotect them and therefore go about editing and deleting etc. Quite why it started doing this I don't know. Annoyingly it continues to do it, as I haven't found a way of making the changes stick for all newly transferred photos.

Cheers!

Carroll

You may already know the information below. If so, I apologize for duplication. If not, perhaps it will help. I hope so, I understand the frustration of not getting the &^%$! thing working, only too well!

One thought I had was that when you "re-set" your camera to default, there are some settings that are not reset. Perhaps a D7000 user may be able to offer better advice. If not, I would not hesitate to contact Nikon.

Information you may already have tried or are aware of:

If you have not already done so, I would recommend you download the D7000 Manual to your computer. You can then put a shortcut on your desktop, to refer to it when you need to, or to study it to learn more about your camera.

I like to look at the manual on the computer screen, rather than read a book about it.

Here is the URL for the download:
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D7000_ENnoprint.pdf

Information about protecting files on your camera are on page 174. Just type the number into the space provided in the PDF Manual page, and hit enter, and you will be whizzed there.

(The manual does mention a specific way to "un-protect" the files.)

The following pertain to ViewNX2 Software: (Found in the ViewNX2 help files)
You can protect a file so that it will not be deleted erroneously or its XMP/IPTC information, etc. will not be changed.
Once you protect a file, you will not be able to perform operations such as metadata editing, image adjustment or deletion on the file using ViewNX 2. As for Smart Photo Selector images, if they are represented by the key image with selected, all images in the group will be protected. If they are individually displayed with selected, you can protect them one by one.

Select an image to protect, locate the cursor on [Protect Files] from the [File] menu, and select [Protect].
The image is protected, and is shown on the thumbnail.

To unprotect
Locate the cursor on [Protect Files] from the [File] menu, and select [Unprotect].
The file is unprotected, and is cleared from the thumbnail. As for Smart Photo Selector images, if they are represented by the key image with selected, all images in the group will be unprotected. If they are individually displayed with selected, you can unprotect them one by one.

Protect icon
This icon is not shown if you set the thumbnail view size to [Minimum] or [Smaller].

Notes
If you attempt to delete a folder containing a protected file, you are prompted to confirm the folder deletion. When you respond with [OK], the folder is moved to the "Recycle Bin" (or "Trash" in Mac OS).

Files protected on your camera will be continuously protected in ViewNX 2.

Last edited:

Carroll

I should have mentioned, although un-related to your post, very helpful Tips for D7000 Users, written by one of our most accomplished forum members. (And there may be other articles/websites written by members that I am not aware of.

Here is the URL for you:

Nikon D7000 tips

The proof the author knows what he is doing is in his work. *Pictures* are worth a thousand words, depending upon who is talking, of course. (last part stolen from Marcel)

I would like to meet the guy that could talk better than the author's pictures....

You may have already looked at these tips, and if so, understand.

Last edited: