Thoughts on Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC?

aZuMi

Hey all,

My style of shooting is changing and it's getting tougher to keep changing lenses on the go. So I'm moving to zoom lens at constant 2.8. I have a chance to trade my Nikon 28mm 1.8G +$450 for Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC.

I won't ask if it's a good deal or if I'm losing out (but feel free to say if it's good or not).
My question though is - is it a good lens? Reviews show it's excellent and almost same as Nikon variant, except for bokeh. The plus side is obviously VC which is around 3 stops on actual use (as per Nasim).

Anyone have this lens? Please let me know how you guys think about this lens before I jump on a potentially bad trade.

Thanks!
Gian

DTigga

I've been looking at this lens too. From all reports it is an improvement on the previous model. Was tossing up between this and the Nikon but can't justify the difference in price.

D

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hey all,

My style of shooting is changing and it's getting tougher to keep changing lenses on the go. So I'm moving to zoom lens at constant 2.8. I have a chance to trade my Nikon 28mm 1.8G +$450 for Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC.

I won't ask if it's a good deal or if I'm losing out (but feel free to say if it's good or not).
My question though is - is it a good lens? Reviews show it's excellent and almost same as Nikon variant, except for bokeh. The plus side is obviously VC which is around 3 stops on actual use (as per Nasim).

Anyone have this lens? Please let me know how you guys think about this lens before I jump on a potentially bad trade.

Thanks!
Gian

Yes, but what are these 3 stops worth if your subjects are moving?

aZuMi

Yes, but what are these 3 stops worth if your subjects are moving?

Definitely not taking consideration the stabilization if the subject is moving. From what I heard, it the motion blur will look weird since the VC is trying to stop it.

It might be helpful for posed shots though.

pedroj

I have Nikons 28-70mm F2.8...They can be picked up second hand at a reasonable price..

Another option for you to look at..

Rick M

There must be a better solution for you than putting an "average" lens on a far superior body. Sorry, I'm not helping!

aZuMi

You guys are hilarious! I admit Tamron's a good lens, so I'm picking up a new lens tonight.

It's Nikon 28-70mm 2.8!! Oh yea! I'll be getting the beast as part of my setup! I'll be getting it for $960, but the guy recently serviced it to Nikon and replaced all the internals. It will also come with 3 month warranty from Nikon Canada.

Unfortunately, I'm still going to sell the Nikkor AF-S 28mm 1.8G. Good thing, I'll only have $300 cash out of my pocket for doing so - saving me $150 for a legendary lens. I'll keep you guys posted!

DTigga

Ok. I've just bit the bullet and ordered the Tamron 24-70 f2.8. I know it's not as good as the Nikon equivalent but I just couldn't pass it for the price of this lens ($999 aus). From all the reviews i have seen (whatever they're worth) it's an excellent lens; not perfect by any means but definitely worth the money.

Will post some sample shots and comments once it arrives.