Settings:
ISO 200, 140mm, f/13, 1/125s

Lighting:
(as shown below)
p1337234756-5.jpg

p1313274126-5.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
I like everything about this photo with the sole exception of the rectangular catch lights in the models eyes. It almost looks like she has white staples in her eyes. Is there anyway short of replacing your lighting system to change this into something less alien?

Robert Mitchell

Hi Dave,

Well, this will sound cocky but if I wanted different catch lights I would light it differently.

Not everyone will like this type of catch light, just as not everyone likes things like a tri-flector that adds additional catch lights in a staggered pattern around the pupil.

The only thing that you can do for yourself is to never light a person like this (lol), BUT....

having said that, these are commercial and theatrical head shots. They are NOT portraits, and in the world of head shots, an agent or casting director is not looking at or judging the catch lights. What they're looking for is very uniform, shadowless lighting so that they can see a persons face and features. Contrast in this type of head shot is a No-No with females. Males are different and some contrast is pleasing and appropriate.

I'll also add that this style of lighting, while not the most popular, was started by Peter Hurley, and if you know anything about Peter and his career you know that the head shots he shoots for actors are considered to be some of the best in the business and more importantly, the actors he shoots generally get work, and that's the key to shots of this type.

My head shot business has taken off in a big way ever since contacting Peter and implementing some of his techniques. The people I shoot absolutely love them and not one has ever commented on the catch lights other than to tell me the eyes look amazing.

So, this is yet another case of personal preference and preference is a wonderful thing. When it comes to producing images that a client can enjoy and benefit from, this is the style I prefer for head shots and I wouldn't change a thing, other than some slight modifications here and there where I swap out a modifier for another or alter the shape or spread of the lights.