Speaking of amateurs taking jobs away from professionals

stmv

wow, that sucks, such an abuse of people trying to share their photos,

then again, how do you sort thru millions of grainy phone pictures, and portraits of vain people holding the phone/camera at arms lengths to add one more picture to the hundred of millions of other vanity photos.

BackdoorArts

Hidden in and among the bazillion "selfies" and drunken bathroom moments on IG are a treasure trove of amazing 4-8 megapixel images taken all over the world. Some serious photographers are also sharing DSLR shots loaded to their iPhone/Droid. And with searchable hashtags it's easy enough to find what you're looking for while avoiding the nonsense.

Mike150

As I understand it, these instagrams are photos taken with Smart Phones.
Fortunately for me, I have what is classified as a "Dumb" phone. (one which is just a little bet smarter than me).

Somersetscott

I am ignorent to all this, I do not use this instagram app but I do regularly upload photos on facebook I would hope wouldn't be published (my profile and photos are set to friends only).

does anyone know if the photos uploaded in the 'normal' way are able to be shared too?

I do think it is a bit sad, afterall facebook always was a 'fight the power' kind of org with the statements like "facebook will always be free" with regard to subscription. Now looking like its trying to generate some more revenue in different ways. Might have something to do with facebook shares dropping/sloping off, make it more profitable to ensure stock value levels off or rises.

Thanks Scott.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I do think it is a bit sad, afterall facebook always was a 'fight the power' kind of org with the statements like "facebook will always be free" with regard to subscription. Now looking like its trying to generate some more revenue in different ways. Might have something to do with facebook shares dropping/sloping off, make it more profitable to ensure stock value levels off or rises.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/photography-bu...ng-jobs-away-professionals.html#ixzz2FQJHLeyu

If you have a "business page", they are really squeezing you. They allow only 7% of your posts through . . . it's a way to "encourage" businesses to buy ads . . . when you do, your reach skyrockets and as soon as you stop the ad, your reach drops like a rock.

I don't use instagram, never have, and as soon as I found out that FB bought them, I decided I never would. I only post links to my photos . . . only occasionally will I share a photo that I don't mind to get "stolen."

Also, while we're on the topic of stock agencies, the last thing I heard about Getty was that if any of your photos in their stock service are not purchased after some time, they go into the "for free" pot. Can't find where I bookmarked the article.

Sad state of affairs for photographers.

§am

I always thought Instagram was used mainly for showing off what people are eating!! :p

From an Instagram point of view - free source of material to bring in the monies.
From a user point of view - your pictures are no longer yours (though not being a user of this service, could you ever control who saw your pics on Instagram?)

Options?
- Do nothing, risk that amazing picture of your 3 Michelin star steak being used without your permission.
- Delete your pictures and account, nothing lost, there will be another sharing service made available soon enough which will be the new craze.
So either way - someone loses out :)