Jittery video when panning

bgrg

Hi,

Please watch this very short clip: DSC 0001 2 - YouTube
This clearly shows that even slow and steady panning motion makes the video jittery, for me it's rather uncomfortable to watch. I used a tripod and a rubber band to pan the camera, so it's not my hands trembling. Do you know what causes it and how to avoid it?

Thanks,
greg

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
When I get to YouTube, I get the "no video" message… Maybe check your link or make sure you've uploaded your video.

Moab Man

My background is video, and although I can't at the moment access the video I would check the following.
1. Panning video is best shot on a tripod with a fluid head. Small amounts of stiction looks huge on the video.
2. Was the computer up to snuff. HD is really intensive to process.
3. Computer needed a restart and your editor was acting stupid.
4. Did it only show up on YouTube? YouTube could have acted stupid in processing.

Hope some of this might have helped.

Philnz

Hi,

This clearly shows that even slow and steady panning motion makes the video jittery, for me it's rather uncomfortable to watch. I used a tripod and a rubber band to pan the camera, so it's not my hands trembling. Do you know what causes it and how to avoid it?

Thanks,
greg
I have the same problem with my 5100 even when just holding camera steady. Having said that, I do very little with video and have not spent a lot of time trying to sort it out. But an answer would be good.

Last edited by a moderator:

bgrg

My background is video, and although I can't at the moment access the video I would check the following.
1. Panning video is best shot on a tripod with a fluid head. Small amounts of stiction looks huge on the video.
2. Was the computer up to snuff. HD is really intensive to process.
3. Computer needed a restart and your editor was acting stupid.
4. Did it only show up on YouTube? YouTube could have acted stupid in processing.

Hope some of this might have helped.

Thank you. It shows the same jerkiness everywhere. Both in the original MOV file, and on youtube in every resolution. My PC is strong enough, I edit full HD videos all the time with effects, no problem. The tripod is not pro equipment, but feels smooth, and I see the same problem with handheld pans too anyway.

Could someone maybe test this with another camera? That would be very helpful, I think.

bgrg

I think I may have found an explanation. My camera was set to record at 25fps, but the refresh rate of my screen is 60fps (Hz), so they interfere. Recording at 30fps solves the problem, playback is now wonderfully smooth.

One question remains. What are the most common refresh rates? I think we should pick our framerate according to that data.

§am

That will depend on your monitor/display and the video card that is running it.

Most will run at 60MHz these days and very few let you chose other options (unless you have an older one).

bgrg

That will depend on your monitor/display and the video card that is running it.

Most will run at 60MHz these days and very few let you chose other options (unless you have an older one).

In that case, 30fps is the best setting for now. Thanks!

dhall79

Hi,

Thanks,
greg

I get problems like that on my Contour HD helmet cam when using a memory card that is not up to the job. Went away when I used a faster card. Nothing slower than class 6 for 1080p.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

bgrg

I get problems like that on my Contour HD helmet cam when using a memory card that is not up to the job. Went away when I used a faster card. Nothing slower than class 6 for 1080p.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. It's a class 6, so that shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was just the ftp/Hz mismatch.