advice on 50mm lense for portraits

bgatty68

can someone please help me with a question. I am hoping to get a 50mm lens and really want it for portraits and family pictures, now is the 50mm lens more for close up portraits or can it be used for shots of like 4 people or more for a family portrait, or do some of the pro's on here use a different lens for shots like that:confused:

AC016

First, you will need a lens that has a built in motor, like the G model. If you get a D - like i have - you will be manually focusing the lens. Second, you may want to consider getting a 35mm instead. A 50 on a cropped sensor like yours, is more like 75mm. A 35 is more like a 50mm. Other than that, you can choose from Nikon, Tamron and Sigma. If you are need more flexibilty, there are little zooms, like the 17-35mm Sigma. That way, you don't have to take x amount of steps back when you are shooting a group of people.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
The 50mm lens is the original "normal" lens and meant to reproduce on film what your eye sees in life. It will make a fine portrait lens, perhaps not the best portrait lens, but will be fine for your needs.

stmv

actually, the 50mm was the normal lens for a 35 mm film camera, but when you factor the 1.5 x crop of his 3100, you are more into the 85 film camera lens range, which is classic portrait lens.

Hence why many people advise using the 50 mm for DX sensors. and 85 mm for FX sensors.

stmv

also, the 18-55 VRII is a really sharp lens, low cost, and will be great for your needs. It might not be built that tough, but, optically, it holds its own.

DTigga

Personally I use the AF-S 35mm 1.8 on my D5100. It is a great lens for portraits but really comes into its own when photographing a group. Whilst I also have a 50mm 1.4, there are times when I can't get back far enough to frame the shot how I'd like.

I'll try and post some comparison shots.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

DTigga

First image is using the 50mm from 3.5 metres (10ft) from subject. Second one is using the 35mm at around 1metre (3ft) from subject.

Not sure if I have uploaded correctly, first time noob.

Attachments

• DSC_0194.jpg
    DSC_0194.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_0103_103.jpg
    DSC_0103_103.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

bgatty68

Thanks Dtigani they are great shots and give me a good understanding of the 2 lenses, much appreciated.
Thanks to the rest of the replies, stmv the 24-85 is out of my budget for now so thats not an option and i have the 18-55 and get really good pictures but i wanted to get a prime lens to add to my collection.

Just-Clayton

Since your doing portraits with the lens you want, you can get a manual lens for your 3100. I have a vivitar 24mm/2.8 that I use on a tripod and free hand.. I also have a 50mm/1.4 thats 50 years old and is still very sharp.

§am

I have the 50mm f/1.8G and it's a fantastic lens, but there are some odd occasions when I do wish it was a little wider so I didn't have to step back so much to get everything I want into the frame.

The 35mm f/1.8G is a good lens too, and as you're in the UK, there £20 cashback on offer from Nikon too.
£144.40 from Amazon so total end cost will be £124.40 :)

Last edited:

ryanp

couldn't agree more.

not 1 week ago I was in the same boat as you.

I now have both the 35 f/1.8 G and the 50mm f/1.8 G and they are both incredible.

The 35 stays on my D3100 most of the time as I have 2 boys and like being able to get them both in shot when playing.

The images the 50 produces though are magic, the bokeh is incredible and it's my personal choice when I know I'm doing a lot of close up stuff.

§am

I HATE this NAS bug!!! :(

I've been putting off buying any new lens, but now so want a 35mm f/1.8G :(
But a flash is my top priority at the moment :(

Or I could forget both these and save a little more for a 28mm f/1.8G